General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Earthquake

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 16 Sep 2018 23:43

An earthquake struck the lower part of SW of Western Australia

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-16/earth-tremor-rocks-southern-wa-town-of-walpole/10253364

The effects were devastating and came without warning.

We didn't have time to stock up on essentials such as wine and beer :-D :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 17 Sep 2018 00:13

Be very stoic Allan hide your beer before it's too late....

Allan

Allan Report 17 Sep 2018 00:33

We must lead very boring lives, Caroline. :-(

The earth didn't move either for myself or OH despite several Facebook postings from people in Australind who felt their houses 'shake violently'. :-D :-D

Honestly, this made headlines on the news last night with the reporter being based in a little town called Kojonup, which I know very well as I worked there for over a year.

I had to chuckle as nothing had changed; no traffic and absolutely no pedestrians.

We always thought that after 5.00pm on any night of the week you could fire multiple shotguns down the main street and not even hit a pigeon :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Sep 2018 00:49

maybe that is why there was little damage!

ps ........ we've seen quite a few places like that in our travels around Australia ;-)

Allan

Allan Report 17 Sep 2018 00:59

:-D :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 17 Sep 2018 03:09

If it helps Allan we had an Earthquake many years ago....thought it was just a big truck going down the street mild rumbling most people missed it.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Sep 2018 03:29

We get hundreds of little ones every year ............ we hardly notice them, until we see crooked pictures on the wall!

I've felt about 3 in all the years we've lived here ............. but of course we are threatened that THE BIG one is now past due, and that we should all be ready with our earthquake kits

We're also in the Ring of Fire of volcanoes around the Pacific!