General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

irish adoptions

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sandra

sandra Report 26 Sep 2018 18:44

The time is the 1870s in Ireland. Does anyone know if children born there were ever "adopted" by English couples? I have found an 1872 "birth" registration in Ballymurphy with the parents details given for an English couple who were resident in England at least up to Sept. 1871 and would seem to have no reason to travel to Ballymurphy. Parents' address on the birth reg. only just given as "Ballymurphy.
Thank you
Sandra

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 26 Sep 2018 19:21

Have you looked at the birth please?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 26 Sep 2018 19:27

Sandra...Very difficult to say without further details but it may be worthwhile checking the Church Baptismal Reg.if the the child was RC.

David

David Report 27 Sep 2018 08:15

Thank you rootgatherer for posting that link.

Using it I have found the year my paternal GGGF died 1869 but using same
link to finding his birth date, or marriage date beyond me.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 27 Sep 2018 08:41

Statutory records began later in Ireland David. Your best hope is to find church records for his baptism or marriage. There are some helpers on here with good experience in researching Irish records and if you post the information that you have they may be able to help.

I'm pleased the link helped you get a little more information for your tree :-)

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 27 Sep 2018 10:14

David....If you put details on a "new post" will see if I can help out.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 27 Sep 2018 10:50

Eringobragh1916, I've had a PM from Sandra and she has the birth entry from the civil registration. The parents are the same as the baby's siblings. Father's occupation is the same. I don't think adoption comes into the circumstances.

David

David Report 27 Sep 2018 11:24

Thank you rootsgatherer and Eringobragh 1916

I "thought" I might have upset / offended some helpers by asking for assistance on

more than one thread. As admitted I'm a slovenly untidy tree keeper. Sorry.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 27 Sep 2018 11:30

Not a problem David. Some of us aren't easily upset. We just want to help.

David

David Report 27 Sep 2018 14:22

To tell the truth rootgetherer I'd forgot I'd already asked.

A) Careless and B) I've been unwell recently.