General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newby but need some help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TREESRGREEN

TREESRGREEN Report 5 Oct 2018 13:02

I have got an ancestor page with a few of them with a purple astrix in the left hand corner, have clicked it but all that happens it reloads. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 5 Oct 2018 13:33

Hi,

I just tested this on my family tree page. When I clicked the purple asterisk I got a message saying you have x number of tree matches, and a 'view' button, which I clicked.

When I used firefox as my browser nothing happened.

When I switched to Google Chrome, I then got a list of 'matches' together with the names of the tree owners, whether I had previous contact with them or not, and a button marked 'find out more' which when you click it, enables you to send a message to the tree owner.

If you do try and send a message or messages to people you match with, try and avoid sending the pre-prepared messages the site provides, but send an original one explaining a little about what you think the connection is.

Bear in mind some people have left the site, passed on, lost interest etc, so not everyone you contact will necessarily reply.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Oct 2018 13:41

Check that it hasn't opened in another tab, usually the one you opened your tree from.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 5 Oct 2018 13:42

Just taken DET's advice, and that's what happened to mine in firefox, it opened in another tab.... :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Oct 2018 13:43

Easy mistake to make :-D :-D

TREESRGREEN

TREESRGREEN Report 5 Oct 2018 15:02

Thank you all for helping. I will certainly give it a go.
Teresa

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 Oct 2018 19:05

Second thread with answers:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1374037

Please note that the "matches" are not necessarily matches - just people in other people's trees who happen to have the same name and year of birth as your ancestor.