General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wicked wish

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Oct 2018 17:10

Do you remember me posting about a little girl with next to no quality of life ?

At the time she was unable to see, needed to be fed through a tube and needed constant care. She had a lung infection at the time I think and her grandmother was really not wishing for the poor little girl to go on.

Five years on, I think, due to the miracle of modern medicine, the poor little girl has all the problems she had then, plus the need for morphine patches and other pain killers, with their accompanying complications that require ever stronger laxatives.

Each cold or bout of flu takes her longer to recover from and, loved and cherished as the little girl is, everybody is hoping for the next to be the last.

Wicked, I know.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Oct 2018 17:40

Not wicked at all Sharron. I'll never understand why we allow humans to suffer when we call it a kindness to put animals out of their misery.

Kath. x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Oct 2018 17:52

I agree, Kath .............. I also don't understand why we allow humans to suffer when it's a crime to do it to an animal.

Sharron ..... not wicked at all.

Dermot

Dermot Report 14 Oct 2018 17:53

I get a tad anxious when human dignity & animal care are compared.

Hitler's organisation had little time for the sick person - physically or mentally. I doubt if his vile 'experiments' are ever to be considered again.

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Oct 2018 18:07

When they used to show those children who were being kept alive in a bubble or were having something done involving bone marrow, I can't remember the details, Fred used to say he thought they were just being kept alive to experiment on.

Caroline

Caroline Report 14 Oct 2018 18:13

When there's no chance of recovery and no quality of life, then no Sharron it's not a wicked thought at all.

Dermot

Dermot Report 14 Oct 2018 18:25

Nobody has mentioned the wholesale destruction of perfectly healthy babies in the womb for no particular reason.

The value of human life continues to be eroded by many means. Grotesque!

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Oct 2018 18:46

That is because it really is a different topic,Dermot.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Oct 2018 18:47

Some of those 'babies' would be born severely disabled, Dermot.
This is the problem women in NI have.
Also, this thread isn't about unborn foetuses..

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Oct 2018 18:48

Dermot ...

this has nothing at all to do with that!

This is talking about people in pain and no hope of recovery or of living without pain.

That is not grotesque.

Let's keep talk of abortion out of this please. It has no part in this, nor has your belief or my belief in whether it is right or not.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Oct 2018 18:49

I agree Sharron - two completely different topics that should NOT be mixed up.

Kath. x

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Oct 2018 18:54

This little girl now has two perfectly healthy sisters but they have been very carefully screened in the womb to avoid their being burdened with a life of pain.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 14 Oct 2018 19:00

My mother's last few months were terrible for her. At 99 years of age, bedridden and totally dependent on carers she had no desire for her life to be prolonged. If it had been legal, I am sure she would have welcomed release.

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Oct 2018 19:07

Mine was diabetic and suffering from bowel cancer.

She fell into a coma and Fred was obliged to call the doctor whose duty was to inject her with insulin so she could suffer another ten days.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Oct 2018 20:02

My elder sister had a stroke and this affected her speach and strength on one side of her body. It also shot her immune system so had trouble fighting off any infection

Due to this she got some leg ulcers and these travelled up into her private area

She was hospitalised and she was in so much pain she had to have a general anaesthetic every other day to change the dressings
It developed into gangrene and was eating her away her inners between the vagina and bowel

She was in high doses of antibiotics but they knew it was terminal

She had to go through a month of pain and deterioration only for them to finally zonk her out on morphine so she passed away

Seeing her cry with the pain and her begging them to let her go cos she wanted to be with her hubby was heartbreaking

She knew she wasn't going to get better but she had a terrible time leading up to her death