General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Saudi

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Oct 2018 23:20

It did occur to me, while I was watching the news today about this murdered journalist in the Saudi consulate that, with the move toward different clean energy and away from fossil fuels, that Saudi are at risk of losing a bit of bargaining power in world affairs.

That will be an interesting one to watch because I don't think they have much else.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Oct 2018 23:35

That's a point, Sharron - now who's behind the anti-windfarm brigade, and why is the subsidy for solar panels being stopped?

Caroline

Caroline Report 21 Oct 2018 11:46

They have a bit of sand around those parts....saw a show once about a World sand shortage for building etc...that said I'm guessing all sand is not created equal.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 Oct 2018 12:30

They could come unstuck as a female scientist in the Gaza Strip has invented building blocks made from ash.

Doncha just love creative people! <3

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Oct 2018 12:48

I saw that on Simon Reeve's programme last night, JoyLouise :-D :-D :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 Oct 2018 12:54

Me too Maggie. Fascinating ideas some people have ..... but, sad to say, I'm not one of them. :-(

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Oct 2018 15:03

Are breeze blocks not made from ash?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 Oct 2018 16:17

No idea, but if they are then someone is claiming a not-so-new invention.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Oct 2018 17:47

I thought they were made of concrete - so 'Googled' it.

Breeze Block:
'a light building brick made from the ashes of coal, coke, etc, bonded together by cement and used esp for walls that bear relatively small loads'. Usual US names: cinder block or clinker block.'

'Majd Mashharawi has been recognised internationally for inventing a concrete building block made from recycled rubble and ash, which makes the blockaded territory less reliant on imported aggregate and cement as it struggles to rebuild.

Using materials of which Gaza has plenty – rubble from buildings destroyed in successive wars, and ash from heating, cooking and power generation – the block is seen as helpful both for reconstruction and for imparting a sense of dignity and resourcefulness among Gazans.

The blocks do require cement, which must be imported from Israel, but they require smaller quantities than a standard concrete block, and the use of concrete rubble and ash cuts out the need for imported sand and aggregate'.

So, similar materials, but from different sources.

Caroline

Caroline Report 21 Oct 2018 20:57

They're called cinder blocks over here Maggie...I still call them Breeze blocks!