General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Don't touch strange fungi!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Oct 2018 19:51

I have managed to grow a few mushrooms with the kits I bought, much to my amazement!

Went to visit a friend yesterday and took her a marrow from the garden and a few of my mushrooms(just to see if she survived them really!).

Anyway, I had to ring her this morning and she told me, very sadly, that she could not eat them.

We are both country children and were told daily to not eat all sorts of things that were harmful when we were playing. Fungi were particularly harmful and we were all told to not eat any strange looking ones. The ones I gave her were grey oysters and looked exactly like the fungi we were all told to not even touch.

She said she tried to tell herself, logically, that these mushrooms were not poisonous and that they were home grown so not harmful in any way but the conditioning was just far too strong.

She couldn't bring herself to eat them.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 23 Oct 2018 20:13

I have found parasols and field mushrooms today while out beating, but too early in the day as I would have had to carry them around with me. I did pick about a pound of sloes though, for sloe gin.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 23 Oct 2018 20:24

Well belive this or not the man next to me on the allotment grew some plum tomatoes given by his mate in he ground and had a good crop,,,,but now where the toms had been and on his plot --------Mushrooms......all we can think it was spent mushrrom compost his mate seeded them in.........but no one dares to show them a frying pan.

. :-D :-D :-D

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 23 Oct 2018 23:12

we had masses appearing on the lawn a couple of months ago - they looked fine! but I just didn't dare. We use them a lot but it did feel silly and extravagant to go on buying them elsewhere!

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 24 Oct 2018 00:21

I spent some time, over the years, in rural France.

The local Pharmacist was always happy to identify, and therefore decree as safe/unsafe, the collected fungi from our field.

Never felt worried about eating the home made mushroom omelette after his decree....I am obviously still here to tell the tale :-D

Chris

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Oct 2018 09:03

We used to get spent mushroom compost for the garden when we lived in Essex in the early 70s and also got a good crop of mushrooms from it )and ate them).

Annx

Annx Report 27 Oct 2018 01:36

When we were children my friend's dad who had a shop bought his eggs from a farm in the country. One year the farmer had used spent mushroom compost on a huge field of swede. We were taken to the field and spent hours cutting them for my friend's dad to sell in his shop. I had never seen so many mushrooms! They were delicious and even better we got some pocket money for what we picked.