General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GR Poppy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 2 Nov 2018 11:27

Good to see it's here.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Nov 2018 11:30

Agreed - I'd noticed FMP had it last night & wondered if GR had been forgotten again. Pleased to see that it's not.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 2 Nov 2018 11:31

Whoo hoo Its arrived x
:-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 2 Nov 2018 11:38

Wasn't it last year they were a bit slow on it's appearance...

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 2 Nov 2018 11:41

One year it never appeared at all :-( :-(

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Nov 2018 12:01

Thank you GR :-)

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 2 Nov 2018 13:10

Made me decide to post my poppy.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 2 Nov 2018 14:50

Nice to see :-)

Phyll

Phyll Report 2 Nov 2018 16:14

Thanks GR

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 2 Nov 2018 18:47

Thanks GR....it looks lovely <3

Mersey

Mersey Report 2 Nov 2018 18:54

Much appreciated : <3

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 2 Nov 2018 21:06

so glad GR are honoring the fallen with the poppy

"When you go home tell them of us and say
For your tomorrow, we gave our today."

THANK YOU to all those who gave their lives

Jan

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 4 Nov 2018 13:41

A Poppy should always be worn or displayed
with the leaves pointing

to the 11.o,clock Position :-( :-(

But well done to GR for trying :-D :-D

Island

Island Report 4 Nov 2018 13:58

Not true Joy. Buying and wearing one is all that matters.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 4 Nov 2018 14:06

According to one woman, she was given a great lesson in the correct way to wear a poppy by an ex-serviceman in her home town of Orpington. Karen Lowton took to Facebook to recall her encounter.
Karen said that she was on her way to a meeting in London and realised her poppy pin had dropped from her coat.
Noticing a poppy seller, she asked if she could have a pin. Karen was going to pin her poppy back onto her coat when the seller stopped her and asked if he could reposition it for her.
She wrote: “A lovely military man selling poppies stopped me today and asked if he could reposition mine - while doing so he told me that women should wear their poppy on their right side: the red represents the blood of all those who gave their lives; the black represents the mourning of those who didn't have their loved ones return home; and the green leaf represents the grass and crops growing, and future prosperity after the war destroyed so much.
[Read more: Is 101-year-old Wally Randall Britain’s oldest poppy seller?]
“The leaf should be positioned at 11 o'clock to represent the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, the time that World War One formally ended.
“He was worried that younger generations wouldn't understand this and his generation wouldn't be around for much longer to teach them.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Nov 2018 14:40

I have never heard that women should wear their poppy on the right side. I have always worn mine on the left, over the heart. Have I been doing it wrong for 75 years?

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 4 Nov 2018 14:44

I to have always wore mine on the left :-D :-D :-D

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Nov 2018 15:11

Evidently the Queen wears hers on the left so we're OK!

Island

Island Report 4 Nov 2018 15:17

British Legion say not true, just wear it.

I tend to wear mine on the left because I'm right handed so it's easier to attach if I'm already wearing my coat.