General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Loganair cuts out the weekends!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 4 Nov 2018 16:45

Well folks I have just learnt that Loganair have cancelled all further flights to Inverness and Edinburgh on Saturdays and Sundays. Nothing in the paper or on the news.
Someone found out when they tried to book a flight.

I myself checked today and sure enough no flights available.
20 years ago, we battled to get Sunday flights and succeeded and now along with Saturday off the menu we have gone backwards.

So no xmas shopping trips to inverness as you would need to return by Sunday because of work on Monday.

Its unbelievable and on FB(so im told as I don't do that) local councillors are being shouted at to intervene.

No wonder people are leaving here every week to go elsewhere!

Florence in the hebrides :-P :-(

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 4 Nov 2018 17:48

That is disgraceful Florence :-0

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 5 Nov 2018 04:39

How ridiculous, a backwards move for sure! You must be frustrated, Florence.

Lizxx

Inky1

Inky1 Report 5 Nov 2018 09:31

Is the route subsidised? If not, the hard truth is that they run a business. Maybe they have found that insufficient tickets are being sold to warrant running a weekend service during the winter months?

Or maybe they can make more money by utilising the plane on different/new routes?

https://www.loganair.co.uk/edinburgh-press-release-oct18/

Suggest that you phone them to check if it is a permanent change: tel:03448002855

Inky1

Inky1 Report 5 Nov 2018 09:57

I post this as a separate example:
I travel fairly regularly to Sweden. Going back a few years my norm was Ryanair London Stansted to Stockholm Vasteras. There were daily flights - and sometimes more than one per day. My favorite was the afternoon flight on Tuesdays.
Then they dropped Thursday and Saturday. So only five flights per week.
Then they dropped 'my' Tuesday. Leaving four flights per week.
Last year for November they dropped the Wednesday. Then reinstalled it later.

I have just looked at the Ryanair site. This November they still show Wednesday flights. But I note that a number of those Wednesday fares are £9.99. Fares on that route have never been that low. I wonder why...…….

Caroline

Caroline Report 5 Nov 2018 11:25

Maybe they could be persuaded to do every other weekend if there's a demand?

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 Nov 2018 18:42

OMG!!! I have just come off the phone to a gentleman for Loganair. I asked him politely why they have cut off the islands at the weekend with the exception of flying to Glasgow?

He said they didn't have to give a reason or announce in any newspaper why! Stunned by this I asked him how would holiday makers in summer come across as most peoples holidays are sat to sat and what if someone needed off quickly for a family emergency? His response was, " we would happy to reschedule for another day,"

Sorry but you have missed the point I said.
I then asked him if I could write and complain and who is your boss?
He rolled off their email address and then said swifty," Jonathan Hinkles but he doesn't always get involved with cutting off routes! So basically don't bother writing to him.

Our papers at weekend come on the plane so they arrive early enough to be delivered to the most rural of villages by the afternoon .

I also had friends planning to come and visit for a weekend in December but sadly this wont happen.

People are complaining to the local councillors in the hope that answers can be sought. Our plane services are not just used for shopping trips but are lifeline services required 7 days a week not just mon-Fri.

I am so angry with the answers the rep from loganair gave me and he made no apologies Just wish Flybe were still here as there is no other choice!

Florence in the hebrides :-( :-P :-P

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Nov 2018 20:41

It does sound appalling, particularly if someone needs to get to the mainland/island in an emergency. How long would it take by ferry, if the weather permits?

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 Nov 2018 21:29

3 hours Det by ferry and 55 miles on a bus so just over 4 hours.First ferry leaves at 7.15 so u need to be there by around 6.30am
yes its cheaper ,the ferry return is £19.00 and the bus is £15.00 depending on what tickets are available.

But if you are elderly or don't travel well at sea, then the plane is quicker and more suitable.

Florence in the hebrides :-(

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 6 Nov 2018 05:27

Looks like Jonathan Hinkles is Loganair"s Managing Director so I'd write to him regardless of what the Rep said. :-|

Florence61

Florence61 Report 6 Nov 2018 12:52

I have today emailed our local MP. He recently managed to retain the only bank in Barra after lengthy negotiations. So if anyone can get some answers he can.
I shall let you know when he gets back to me. he is an islander himself so will indeed appreciate the situation.

Florence in the hebrides