General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Maid in hell

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 5 Nov 2018 06:12

I recorded this programme from bbc2 last evening, and just watched it. It's as if we are going back to the dark ages. Women from Kenya and other countries are being enticed to the Middle East to be housemaids and nannies etc in the hope they can send money back to their families which often include husbands and children, for better homes and education. They are completely exploited by agents, even their mobile phones are taken from them as well as passports, and they are often ill treated, with many trying to escape and/or commit suicide. One poor woman was badly burned in a kitchen explosion and after several weeks in hospital without her family being told, was sent home still terribly ill and in pain. Because the employers had insurance her hospital bills were paid but no compensation for her subsequent death as it didn't happen in the country she worked in. She received no wages for all the time she worked for the family.

Rest in peace, Mary. These things should not be happening, slavery is supposed to be banned!

Lizxx

Dermot

Dermot Report 5 Nov 2018 07:47

Dreadful! Cruel people lack compassion.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 6 Nov 2018 02:42

The agents etc are only interested in power and money, they treat the women like chattels, not humans. There was another programme about the sex slave trade but I missed it. Hopefully it will be repeated later.

The many things we watch, read and hear about are horrendous, the lack of care and compassion for each other throughout the world is becoming more obvious and prevalent despite the good things we hear about too.

Lizx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Nov 2018 09:22

And it still goes on in this country so we should not be complacent.

Dermot

Dermot Report 6 Nov 2018 16:03

The Churches in the UK are in a unique position to combat modern slavery. But they cannot fight against this heinous crime without working in partnership with the civil authorities.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Nov 2018 17:24

Liz ...........

that has been going for hundreds of years.

It's called slavery.

It is still happening, even in the UK, the USA and probably Canada as well.

I've read very recent media reports online from UK newspapers and TV about "slaves" being kept in the UK, usually from another country and often mentally disabled.

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't be horrified when it happens, but just realise it is happening far too often in these supposedly civilized days

Jane

Jane Report 6 Nov 2018 19:40

I watched this programme this morning and found it just so distressing. Shame on the people who thrive on 'selling' these women .They believe they are going to a better life to make some money to help their families and just end up in the most dreadful situations .It is shocking and this kind of thing should not be happening in 2018 . But sadly as we all know it is happening all the time even in our country .I don't know what the answer is or what will ever be done about this 'slavery'.But it is about time governments should be getting their heads together to try and deal with this atrocious treatment of these incredibly brave women .
The way poor MaryMaria was just sent home so terribly burnt and then so sadly died was just so so barbaric . :-( :-( That programme is going to stick in my mind for a long while :-(

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 6 Nov 2018 23:06

This is what gets to me so much, we know of olden days of slavery but many people don't realise it still goes on in so many ways and not just in places many miles from us, but in our very own country. It's despicable that someone can be so cruel and calculating to another human being. I wonder where it will end? Will this world ever be a totally kind, peaceful place or will greed and power always be the poison in our lives.

I know there are many kind and caring human beings, having just watched Pride of Britain it shows great courage and compassion, but can it ever overcome the evil that we learn of daily?

Lizx

Dermot

Dermot Report 7 Nov 2018 09:05

'Mankind is nearing the end of his rope. Today, man's world is reeling on its last legs. War, violence, destruction & terrorism engulf the entire planet.

Half the world's inhabitants exist in ignorance, illiteracy, poverty, living in filth & squalor. The developed half is sick with ill-health, disease, mental stress, fear & frustration, wrecked with crime, alcoholism, drug abuse, perverted & misused sex, broken homes & hopelessness'.

(A small less than cheerful excerpt from 'Mystery of Ages' by Herbert W. Armstrong 1892-1986.) :-(

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 8 Nov 2018 02:21

Crikey, he must have had a crystal ball! He's so spot on for these sad days.

Lizx