General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How to look at another member’s tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ellen

Ellen Report 5 Nov 2018 23:54

I have permission from another member to look at her tree. How do I do that?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Nov 2018 00:06

Welcome to the Boards, Ellen

Click on Family Tree at the top of the page. It'll open in another tab.
Centre top of the tree page will be your name 'Ellen' or what ever else you've chosen to use.
Underneath that in smaller blue/green type, is View Other Trees.
Click on that.
The Tree Dashboard will open. Click the tab that say's Trees shared with me.
You should be able to see the tree owners name. Click on the result to open it.

If several people have opened their trees, you can filter by starting to type their names & selecting the one you want to view.

Us old timers would recommend that you take other's research as a guide only. Even the most experienced person can make mistakes!

As Ellen is a new member, PM sent to let her know that replies are posted on the thread

Ellen

Ellen Report 6 Nov 2018 02:19

Thank you. Your description led me right to what I was looking for. Thanks also for the admonition about research that other members do. Wise words. I work primarily on Ancestry.com which is where I have my tree and I am constantly aware of mistakes that people have made.

Cheers and thanks for your speedy reply.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Nov 2018 09:07

You’re welcome.

As you may have discovered, you can download your Ancestry tree by gedcom & upload it to GR. Unlike your usual research site, GR will only support one tree per membership. A second upload will overwrite the first.

Most of the posting members use either Ancestry and/or Findmypast for our own English/Welsh research rather than the records on GR.

The advantage of this site are the boards. If you have a brick wall, please do post on Find Living Relatives, Find Ancestors etc as appropriate. Someone will be bound to try & help. Similarly, if you think you can contribute to a thread, please do. As you’re using the US version of Ancestry, you may have a better grasp & access to N American records than many others.

Have fun!