General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1st World War

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Nov 2018 20:44

I have previously found information on general chat about war service of George Drury served in RAMC from08/02/1918 to 04//03/1918 previous information gave his service No as101273 then128080 neither can be found on a war records site can anyone help please many thanks Thomas sorry service was 08/02/1918 to 04/03/1920

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Nov 2018 21:35

Thomas

Only 30% of the records for the soldiers in WW1 have survived, often the medal card is the only record that we have.

It is entirely possible that your George Drury is one of the 70% for whome there are no records surviving.

I'm sure that someone might have told you this before.

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 7 Nov 2018 21:42

Hi Thomas
Try Military Chat board

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 7 Nov 2018 21:47

Is this your guy Thomas

George Drury
First name(s) George
Last name Drury
Age 21
Birth year 1896
Birth town Boston
Birth county Lincolnshire
Birth country England
Service number 101273
Regiment Royal Army Medical Corps
Year 1918
Residence town Boston
Residence county Lincolnshire
Residence country England
Series WO 363
Series description Wo 363 - First World War Service Records 'Burnt Documents'
Archive The National Archives
Record set British Army Service Records
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory First World War
Collection

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 7 Nov 2018 22:31

The other number.......

View British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920

View Packet Cover
Name: George Drury
Birth Date: abt 1897
Enlistment Age: 21
Document Year: 1918
Residence Place: 38 Frampton Place, Boston Lincs
Regimental Number: 128080
Other Regimental Numbers: 552245, 18107
Regiment Name: Royal Army Medical Corps
Number of Images: 27
Form Title: Record of Service
Other Records: Search for 'George Drury' in other WWI collections
Family Members:
Name Relation to Soldier
George Drury Self (Head)
Annie Maria Whelbourn Mother

Edit....101273 is on the Atestation but crossed out.

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Nov 2018 09:52

Many thanks everyone for info about George Drury I have used all the information given and used the service numbers given but still cannot trace him all the personal information is correct with regard to Mother and address

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 8 Nov 2018 10:25

There are 27 images on the Service Record that Mr Magoo has given above.

What exactly is it that you are looking for Thomas?

Which site are you using?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Nov 2018 10:25

Different sites don't necessarily hold the same records. Perhaps the War Records Site has made an error on transcription? Is this site you mean?
https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/

Ann's transcription came from Findmypast & MrMagoos from Ancestry.

If you can get to your local library, you should be able to access Ancestry for free. An increasing number also have access to Findmypast.

Ancestry do have free access to WW1 records at the moment. You normally have to register.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 8 Nov 2018 10:28

Fold3 has free access from today, you could try that site :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Nov 2018 18:05

As DET posted ............. different sites may well have different records or additional records.

I found that out with my grandfather who served in WW1.

I initially got the records from Ancestry, pages of his war service, ending with his shipping out from Iraq and his demob. The only problem with him is that he served with the Machine Gun Corp and all records were destroyed in the 1920s when the Corp was disbanded.

Years later, FindMyPast (FMP) also got the records ........... on accessing those records, I discovered there were some very personal letters included. He had written asking for early demob as his wife was in financial trouble and he needed to get back to work. Included was a letter from his pre-war employer stating that he would re-hire grandfather immediately he was demobbed!

A little bit extra to add to my family knowledge of my grandparents and my grandmother ........... and perhaps explaining why my mother was not very good with money! :-D