General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Have you ever had a strange request

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 13 Nov 2018 23:39

I mean knit a dark green cardigan for a 6 month old baby girl
Well each to their own

Green Cardigan here you come :-( :-( :-(

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Nov 2018 23:50

I dressed my babies in yellow, dark brown and dark green - made by me!. :-D

Other people bought pink and white (they were girls) - but not my style :-D

However, younger was really 'into' pink at about 3, so I had to cave in :-|

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 13 Nov 2018 23:53

I like Pink white and lemon for Little girls
I find dark green strange Myself

But each to their own :-D :-D

Island

Island Report 14 Nov 2018 10:42

Is the child a leprechaun?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Nov 2018 11:36

Perhaps it's to go with something specific? Could they be creating a fancy dress outfit for Christmas?

Good for the parents - why should a young baby or their parents be constrained by tradition? Dark clothing won't show the general dirt so much.....although milky burps won't look too good. :-D

Island

Island Report 14 Nov 2018 11:57

Oh I dunno Det, milky burps might look like tinsel :-0 :-D

I'm not keen on gender specific colours. I recently saw a request for a 'girl' kitten as the person had bought things in pink but could change them if there was only 'a boy' available. Daft on so many levels. :-(

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 14 Nov 2018 12:53

Island no leprechaun in this child haha
I did try to sway the mother to Mauve or lilac

Maybe I should buy a green tartan outfit for Christmas to go with it :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Nov 2018 13:27

Not sure I like dark green for a baby but each to their own, I have got used to navy as that seems to be popular these days so I suppose dark green is not a lot different. Iused to put mine in tartan trousers (trews) when they were little and that was 0ver 50 years ago.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 14 Nov 2018 13:41

Tartan is back in this Christmas in the Boro Ann :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Nov 2018 17:28

I rarely had pink for my daughter when she was little, not even pink sweaters

As she didn't have much hair until she was almost a year old, that did lead to a little confusion at times with (strangely) older women who would say "what a lovely little boy I had"

Women my age or younger never made that mistake!

She was just about a year old when we had her first passport photo taken, and she was wearing a dark blue denim dress ....... looks a right little tomboy from the neck down, but with an angelic face :-D

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 14 Nov 2018 20:19

As the youngest, I had to wear a lot of hand-me-downs. Not funny when a boy has to wear his big sisters' frocks!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Nov 2018 22:49

Bob :-D

My elder daughter has a daughter aged 16, and two boys, aged 10 and 8.
The 10 year old regularly 'nicks' his sisters T shirts - because he likes them baggy, and loves colour!
Younger daughter has two girls aged 3 and 1. She's never bought them pink - in fact she refused to tell her mother in law what sex they were before they were born, as she didn't want a pink 'fest' of clothes, and in particular, dresses.
We (in the family) all think dresses are a hindernace to crawling, and both girls have worn leggings a lot.
The youngest is frequently mistaken for a boy - and her name - Merryn - doesn't give much away either! :-D

3 year old, though, like her mother at the same age, loves pink now!

Interestingly, until about the 2nd world war, pink was for boys and blue for girls! :-D
This was because: "The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink , being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl."

But we all know why these colour 'preferences' came about, don't we?
It was so shops could sell more baby clothes!
Until the 1920's there were no specific colours, so if you had a boy, followed by a girl, they could wear the same clothes.
By allocating a specific colour, or range of colours to a particular sex, parents would have to buy a new wardrobe when a baby of a differing sex came along!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Nov 2018 23:40

I have a studio photograph of my father with his 3 oldest siblings, I estimate Dad is about 9 - 12 months old ...... able to sit up on a fur rug ........ so taken late 1904 / early 1905

He's wearing a frilly white dress :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Nov 2018 00:25

Oh yes, boys wore dresses - easier to potty train, and quicker to change! :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Nov 2018 01:21

It looks as though there are loads of petticoats to his dress, and maybe evena pinafore apron over it all! :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 15 Nov 2018 03:38

I have a photo of my dad dressed like that, he would be about 2. He looked very cute

Lizx