General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Messages and updates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Roy

Roy Report 1 Dec 2018 12:45

I haven't received any messages or hot matches for two or three years now. Does this happen to other people?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Dec 2018 13:05

hot matches hasnt worked for years

genes has forgotton about it :-(

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Dec 2018 13:41

To be fair the hot matches were wrong more often than not, if they can narrow it down and bring it back it might help.

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 1 Dec 2018 14:02

Most of my HOT MATCHES where right and I got a lot info from them. I wish they would bring it back.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 1 Dec 2018 16:28

Hot matches worked OK until Genes tried to make them more accurate by introducing places of birth into the mix.

After that, matches only came up if the other person had written the ancestor's birthplace exactly the same as you - so my ancestor, born in Birmingham, did not match with your (same) ancestor, born in Birmingham, Warwickshire; Birmingham, England; B'ham, Warwicks. or any of the other variations that people put.

The other thing, I found, was that the same ancestors and contacts came up over and over again. Always at the beginning of the alphabet!! I don't think they ever got past B!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Dec 2018 17:22

I was glad to see the end of Hot matches .........

a typical one for me ...............

Mary Smith
Y.O.B: 1779
Place: Launton, Oxfordshire
Children: 4

with

Elizabeth Powell
Y.O.B: 1685
Place: Towcester, Northamptonshire

:-S :-S :-S :-S :-S

Roy

Roy Report 4 Dec 2018 12:22

Many thanks to those that replied to my query. Didn't know that hot matches had stopped. Roy.