General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

All things considered.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 16 Dec 2018 09:49

All things consider I am very fortunate. I've survived a number of accidents down the years. In relatively recent times I survived a road traffic accident that resulted in four pelvic fractures, among other injuries.(1994) In 2013 I crippled myself in an avoidable accident and have survived six surgical operations and a biopsy plus weeks on an IV drip as I contracted some post operative disease in the bones. Were it not for the NHS I wouldn't have survived these injuries.
My parents seldom went to their GP and were not in hospital, with the exception of a work injury my Father sustained.
My Grand parents were working into their 70's no NHS and few of the benefits I enjoy.
So, because of my ancestors strengths (and the NHS) I'm still here.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 16 Dec 2018 12:01

David, I should think a lot of us on the boards have experienced accidents and a multitude of broken bones and operations - I know I have had a few However, there are some much worse off in the suffering stakes, many over their whole lifetimes.

The mantra which one of my cousins told me is worth remembering -

IF YOU WAKE UP IN THE MORNING, YOU'RE ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES - IT'S BETTER THAN THE ALTERNATIVE.

I never forget it - it stops me bleating!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 16 Dec 2018 17:02

My Mantra to myself is stop being such a moaning Minnie there are a lot worse off than you. It brings me back to earth with a bump :-D. At least I have a roof over my head,food to eat and reasonably good health for my age.

David

David Report 16 Dec 2018 17:03

Something I read recently was
While you waste your breathe complaining, some else is breathing their last.