General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Change/correct the spelling of a surname

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Adrian

Adrian Report 19 Dec 2018 11:29

Hello everyone from Birmingham, UK.
Please may I ask how to change/correct the surname of someone on a Genes Reunited family Tree?
My surname appears as De Redman and I wish to correct it to de Redman.
Many thanks and best wishes,
Adrian

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Dec 2018 11:46

You can't make changes to someone else's tree

You could message the owner of the tree to amend

But they shouldn't have you on their tree without your permission anyway

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 19 Dec 2018 12:10

Hi Adrian.

I have some de surnames on my tree. Sometimes, people spell it with a capital without thinking it usually means 'of' so others simply copy it. Others spell it properly but the auto-correct kicks in and they don't bother changing it.

Shirley is right but I have not contacted anyone who uses the capital letter as I never worry about it as long as I get it right.

Adrian

Adrian Report 19 Dec 2018 13:54

Many thanks, Shirley and JoyLouise,
It is my tree and I still can't correct it! Auto correct, I suppose.
Tanks again and Happy Hunting!
Adrian

Inky1

Inky1 Report 20 Dec 2018 08:47

Found a way to override the auto correct. But really only if your tree is not too big and, most importantly, if the tree does not have any photos, etc. attached. AS THESE WILL BE LOST IN THE PROCESS.

Like some other folk I have a 'spare' free account. I use it when doing small trees for friends. The present tree on that account has just 44 names. I added a wife to one chap that never married and gave her the surname 'de Pilgrim' with birth and death info. And, as you already know, the system changed that to 'De Pilgrim'.

I called out a .ged and closed GR. The GR email arrived a few minutes later and I saved the .ged to my pc. Opened the file with Wordpad and this is what it showed for the new name:-

0 @I45@ INDI
1 NAME Jean /De Pilgrim/
1 SEX F
1 BIRT
2 DATE 1902
2 PLAC London, England
1 DEAT
2 DATE 1980
2 PLAC London

I altered the NAME line to:- 1 NAME Jean /de Pilgrim/ and saved the file. Opened GR and uploaded the revised data - knowing that it would overwrite the data already in the system.
Went for a cup of tea - leaving time for GR to do whatever it needed to do.

When I opened the tree the name shows as 'de Pilgrim'. Thus the auto correct function only operates when adding names, and not when loading a data file.

I doubt that anyone would bother to do that(?), but it was an interesting exercise.