General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Democracy in Ontario, Canada

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 12 Jan 2019 19:06

Who will stop Doug Ford ?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/11/ontario-doug-ford-premier-democratic

Meanwhile back in the land of politcal unicorns Her Majesties Loyal Opposition will have all of 90 minutes to debate the country's future following the expected heavy defeat of the seperation document or "Withdrawal Agreement". There is precious little agreement though. Democracy ?

:-(

Caroline

Caroline Report 12 Jan 2019 20:56

Oh dear Rollo.......there are so many half "facts" in that report I wouldn't know where to begin....how about you worry about dear old UK and leave Canada to us hey??
The Guardian well known for wearing rose coloured specs.

Even with all those half facts though the province is still better off than the massively overspending previous Premier who had borrowed so much even our grandchildren won't be able to start to pay off the debt she's run up.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Jan 2019 22:08

I agree, Caroline ................

half facts, half truths, nothing worse

Rollo, let's stop promoting stuff that you know nothing about, shall we?

Caroline

Caroline Report 12 Jan 2019 22:14

I'm not banging a drum for Premier Ford BUT since he's been in office he's actually delivered on many of his promises....some more for show than others a Buck a beer...
He's standing up against Carbon tax not because he's against anything Green but the Federal tax would do nothing to stop Global warming more as Sockboy (PM) states lead an example for the rest of the World to follow....unfortunately the bigger polluters won't even notice...and our cost of living would go through the roof.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Jan 2019 22:16

well, we have carbon tax, and our cost of living has not gone through the roof!

Mind you, we have much cheaper electricity rates than you do!

Caroline

Caroline Report 12 Jan 2019 22:51

Yes you do ..... Has it been fully implemented in BC though, because I think it will be put on pretty much everything soon if dear Justin (sorry I think you like him so I'll be nice :-D ) gets his way...

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Jan 2019 23:27

A planned increase in the % has been stayed (at least for the time being), but its been in place here for several years.

The cap was brought in by Christie Clark's "Liberal" government ......... which was NOT Liberal in any sense of the word or even close to the Federal Liberal beliefs, but a coalition of far right and left Tories, even some still-living Socreds and maybe an odd Red Liberal. It was put together to beat out the NDP after the Socreds fell into the basement ....... the NDP being labelled those nasty left-leaning commies :-D

Yes, I like the Liberals, and prefer Trudeau to Scheer or Bernier, and who knows what Singh will ever achieve. It's even possible that he won't win the by-election next month

But you don't have to be nice, just because it is me :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 13 Jan 2019 00:24

Oh shucks yes I do LOL

I agree none of them is outstanding, and being horrid it might be funny if Singh doesn't win what with him being the party leader without a seat for so long.

But back to the OP

Democracy......that's where you get to vote and then accept that result until the next general election for instance....

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Jan 2019 00:35

I'm sorry, but there aren't enough spelling mistakes or arguments on this thread!

Caroline

Caroline Report 13 Jan 2019 01:36

Can't all keep up your high standards sorry Maggie.....and don't ya know Canadians never argue hey :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Jan 2019 04:08

and we know how to spell .................

after all, we can distinguish between English, American and Canadian spelling, eh!

Caroline

Caroline Report 13 Jan 2019 10:07

:-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Jan 2019 21:57

Oh, awight. :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Jan 2019 23:41

oh, thanks

Have a great day! :-D