General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

It's cold......

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Jan 2019 15:50

It's warmed up to feeling like minus 28c, but tonight and tomorrow morning it will feel like minus 38c.....Allan send some of your hot weather over please... :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Jan 2019 15:52

...and we're getting warnings not to go out unless it's really necessary - as the temperature drops to..............-3!! :-D :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Jan 2019 15:54

LOL I've been out for a few hours shoveling snow and last night...you just need to wrap up...frost bite in minutes otherwise

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Jan 2019 15:54

And we're not the coldest place out of town is worse...

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 20 Jan 2019 16:20

We've warmed up to minus 17c but the wind chill makes it feel like minus 28 and the snow has finally started to taper off. Don't know how much we got but I'm definitely snowed in.

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Jan 2019 16:24

We were lucky very light snow, trouble is now it's drifting in the wind. Maybe 10 cms we missed the worse of the storm.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Jan 2019 16:27

:-D I think we Brits should stop complaining.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 20 Jan 2019 16:28

Friend has just ,ailed me and says it's -25 where she lives.

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Jan 2019 16:29

:-D :-D

To be fair we are more set up for it...my coat etc are good to minus 40 .

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Jan 2019 17:58

We're having an unusually warm and wet winter, around about 5-8C in the daytime ............ but there's lots of snow falling on the mountains in the Interior of the province, and drivers are being warned that the mountain passes are dangerous.

Even here, my coat is good to -28C ;-)

Keep warm and safe, Margaret and Caroline and all easterners.

Have to tell you ..............

OH got off the train in Winnipeg around 8:30 am on December 31st and walked outside the station door just to say he had been out in -41C

daft beggar!!

He then turned right around and waited in the station until allowed to re-board the train :-D

Von

Von Report 20 Jan 2019 19:37

The coldest I have experienced was - 27 and that was cold. That was in Finland.

We used to judge the temperature by how quickly the hairs in our nose froze ;-) ;-) ;-)

Stay warm and safe.

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Jan 2019 19:53

Yep the good old frozen nose hairs...had icicles hanging from my strands of hair popping out of my hat and scarf.

Sylvia send us some warmer weather please...lovely and sunny but the wind is picking up :-) As for your OH he's a man of course he did that!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Jan 2019 20:09

Coldest I've been was -42C in Quesnel, a town in BC ............. we stayed in a motel there but they didn't have a cafe/restaurant so we had to go out for breakfast.

Our nose hairs froze in the short walk from the car to the cafe. Then it was roasting hot inside in our -28C rated jackets, which were taken off in a hurry.

Allan

Allan Report 20 Jan 2019 22:10

It was a lot pleasanter here than originally forecast as we only reached 36c.

Perth was expecting 40c but over in the Eastern States temps of 46-47c were expected and some residents in Sydney were without power as the supply company carried out some 'routine maintenance'

We did have a bush fire close to Bunbury and several firies were taken to hospital suffering from heat exhaustion :-(

Caroline

Caroline Report 21 Jan 2019 01:00

Glad you're so much "cooler" today Allan, still spare a little heat though ?? :-D

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 21 Jan 2019 10:54

5:50 in the morning here and the temp is minus 23c with a wind chill making it feel like minus 34c.
Edit: Just found out at 7:00 that all schoolbuses have been canceled because of risk of frostbite.

Caroline

Caroline Report 21 Jan 2019 12:44

We're so lucky it never quite got as cold as they expected, likewise currently feeling like minus 34.
School buses canceled school still open everyone expected to attend still :-)