General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Result

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 29 Jan 2019 13:39

An article on the news has reported that one of the food banks has begun teaching cookery.

One woman interviewed reported that her shopping bill has now fallen from £140 per week to £60..

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Jan 2019 13:57

There’s probably a lot of people who would benefit from basic cookery lessons, not just those using food banks.

A number of the younger generation would have been raised by working parents. They wouldn’t necessarily have had the time or inclination to teach their children how to cook. They’d have no idea how to make basic ingredients or leftovers go further.

Sharron

Sharron Report 29 Jan 2019 14:21

This could well be the first of many.

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 29 Jan 2019 14:33

i also think that now days the working parents work to long hours
as i use to work in a afther school kids club and most parent not picking there kids up till 6/6.30 then by the time thay get home and cook a good meal that would take at lest 1hr or more. them plus bed time it all gets to much so thay stick to processed and micquwave food

kid can not wait that long to eat poor little thing use to tell me there starving buy
5.30 althow thay do get a snack to tiyed them over till thay get pick up

Sharron

Sharron Report 29 Jan 2019 14:38

Something of a vicious circle really. Working every hour God sends to buy expensive food that doesn't take long to prepare and buy luxuries they have no time to enjoy.

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 29 Jan 2019 14:49

sharron i remember when i use to get home from school and mum still working till about 5.30 she use to have every think ready and tell me what time i was to put every think on or in the cooker so dinner was almost ready for when her and dad came home from work.
but its not like that now days as you carnt leve kid home alone like when we was kids and that also explains why now days some parents dont no how to cook very well

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 29 Jan 2019 15:50

I read that some of of the people using food banks had no cooking facilities except a kettle,eg those in bed and breakfast,and to include things like noodles etc which only need hot water added.

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 29 Jan 2019 15:57

that is true elizabeth the truble is this world is a lot diffrent to when we was younger