General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

They shall not grow old - tonight

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 2 Feb 2019 14:44

Peter Jackson's documentary exploring the First World War, edited from rarely seen archive footage from the Western Front which has been restored and colourised, while lip readings of the men featured in the footage have allowed their speech to be reconstructed. The film also includes archive interviews with servicemen from the BBC and the Imperial War Museum.

Brilliant film, brings WW1 into the present time.

BBC 2 9 pm - 10.40 pm

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Feb 2019 15:03

Thanks for this Pat. I'll set it to record. :-)

Kath. x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Feb 2019 15:40

Thank you Pat.
This should make interesting viewing.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 2 Feb 2019 19:21

I watched it the first time, when it was on about Christmas time.

Wonderful. Really poignant, very sad. As Pat says, they lip read their conversations and recorded actors saying their words. Also comments added from 'old soldiers'. Well worth a second watch.

It is out on DVD too.

edit. I think it was shown on Remembrance Sunday.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Feb 2019 22:42

First time I've seen it - wonderful - thank you!
Amazing footage, so much clearer in colour - loved the constant reference to 'a brew' - and the teeth before the NHS!
My g grandfather joined up in 1915 - he was a blacksmith/farrier, so was dealing with the horses.
When he came back, in 1919, his wife (not my g grandmother - she died at the birth of my grandmother) accused him of 'desertion'. He offered her substantial payment for the children - plus to do up her house - but she wasn't happy, and went to the press.
This creature also wouldn't accept my grandmother, who was brought up by her grandparents and an aunt.