General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Married Clergy.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dermot

Dermot Report 11 Feb 2019 15:17

In the 10th century, married priests stood higher in public repute than those who remained single.

By the beginning of the 11th century, celibacy among the secular clergy was exceptional.

(Will Durant).

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 Feb 2019 16:31

This is a chat board essentially focused on the here and now not religous affairs of 1000 years ago. That said Dermot should note that it has been and is the norm from rabbis to Orthodox priests people can be married. The RC church has been the exception.

One of my rellies was a Bishop, married with kids. His progress in the Anglican church would have been unlikely as a bachelor.

Essential reading: Council of Trent 1564.

Dermot

Dermot Report 11 Feb 2019 16:46

The Catholic Church is one of the last major holdouts among Christians to insist that their clergy be exclusively men.

This has been a source of much questioning and, at times, great controversy even among practicing Catholics.

PS: Congratulations Rollo on being appointed thread monitor. :-P

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 Feb 2019 18:05

As you will no doubt be aware the RC church is vanishing due to its recruitment policy. Our Church in the Vexin has no trouble filling the church but has to share a priest with four other communes. And he is from Gabon.

I guess it is a classic case of a business losing touch with its customer base.

My own perspective is that the high Anglican church is more a true Catholic Church for our times than anything under the colors of the Vatican.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Feb 2019 19:46

My great interest in history has provided me with many examples of the fact that the Catholic church had married priests for hundreds of years, and that it was only the Roman popes and bishops who declared for celibacy, eventually forcing the Irish (Ionan) tradition to follow suit.

Read about the Synod of Whitby in 664 which was about when Easter should be celebrated plus the correct monastery tonsure, but eventually led to the abandoning of married clergy by the Ionan tradition clergy.

Not that the imposing of celibacy seems to have been much deterrent through the centuries. I seem to remember reading about several Roman popes who were married and had children or not married and had children, ad it seems to have been fully accepted!