General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Boohoo bans wool products

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 16 Feb 2019 12:47

Well what a PR stunt this is...they don't sell any wool products.

On a wider view this complaint from PETA just stuns me. We all know there are cases of animal cruelty which is why PETA started this anti wool campaign.

Now as someone who kept a small flock of sheep I can assure you that not shearing (which they advocate) will mean a massive number of very unhappy sheep. Aside from the heat generated during warmer months, what about the fly strike scourge and subsequent maggot infestation which will mean the sheep is eaten alive.

They have really thought this through......NOT

Caroline

Caroline Report 16 Feb 2019 14:57

Does seem a strange stance to take, doesn't it?

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 16 Feb 2019 15:18

Just watched their video showing cruelty and it isn’t pleasant viewing.

I’m sure I could find cruelty in every aspect of animal husbandry. It would be more productive to change practices than to call for a ban. They stated that lambs tails were chopped off and provided the evidence. We banded our lambs tails and they didn’t seem bothered at all. This is by far the norm in developed countries.

We chose to have our animals despached and butchered by a farmer with a license as our first trip to an abbatoir was an eye opener and we disapproved of the holding yards.

PETA go too far with their suggested solutions.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Feb 2019 16:07

We looked around the sheep pens at an agricultural show in July, one of those baking hot days. The sheep still had their fleece in preparation for ‘Showing’.

Whilst freely admitting little knowledge of sheep husbandry, it’s the first & only time we’ve seen sheep pant.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 17 Feb 2019 16:33

Reading the other day that a polyester fleece releases millions of microfibres each time it is washed and they are a bigger threat than microbeads, so save the sheep kill the planet!

You cannot win, a young girl was saying how she had converted the family to almond milk.
So how much processing and air miles does it take to make milk (with added vitamins) out of nuts compared with milking a cow heating the milk to pasteurise and putting it in a bottle to sell in the UK?
;-)

OK so yes am a meat eater. I understand farming is not the ideal way for animals to live but do we slaughter all the cows and sheep in the world apart from a handful in a zoo?

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 17 Feb 2019 17:57

Thanks for replies :-D

Extreme activists spout their favourite mantras time and time again demanding we poor peasants who know no better to stop eating this and that.

Interesting that they don’t also provide solutions to the flocks/herds iof abandoned beasts that will be roaming our countryside and urban areas producing tons of excrement along pavements and feeding in domestic gardens ;-)

How would we cover our naked bodies and feet? I like my leather shoes and woolly jumpers :-P :-P

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 17 Feb 2019 18:08

The farmers would slaughter all their animals if they couldn't sell their meat or products as they'd be ruined if they had to still feed and look after them. :-S

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 17 Feb 2019 18:23

Shhhh Pat don't let the activists hear that ;-)

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 17 Feb 2019 18:24

:-D :-D :-D :-D