General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

weird ...................

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Feb 2019 19:18

I got a scam email this morning, offering me some "games" according to the url included with it .... that's all I could see in the preview, didn't open it.

But the weird thing is that it came as if from my sister-in-law

D died in January 2014 :-0 :-S

I've contacted on of her children, who was also her mother's executor, to let her know that mother's email address book was seemingly been hacked so that she'll know about it.

I doubt very much that the email address book exists within the family ................ it must have been taken before D died.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Feb 2019 19:33

There are vast amounts of stolen data on the dark web - phone books & contact lists, banking details, access credentials - for sale in Central America, India, SE Asia. The data gets cheaper as it gets older. Important reasons are outsourcing computer services to these places and the low security of most routers.

Use a good password manager and update often. Use 2step security for banking. Obtain and install a secure router typical cost 200 bucks. Do not use older versions of Android and ios.

Caroline

Caroline Report 17 Feb 2019 20:37

I have to keep reminding my mum not to open emails from one of my nieces....it's using a very old address for her hate to think what they're sending each time....easy to open things without thinking if it looks like it comes from a relative.....just don't open anything in it.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Feb 2019 20:56

I'm very very cautious about emails, don't open them unless I am certain ..... and I do have good security, it's just the odd one or two that have got through.

D was of course on my acceptance list

I also had 4 that came in while we were still away in Janaury .......... all from an address list lifted from someone who also had been on my acceptance list because of need that again ended around 2015. She was surprised because she had got rid of that address back about 2016.