General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Occasional bits of advice.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dermot

Dermot Report 15 Mar 2019 08:25

Refrain from shaking hands with dog walkers. :-0

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 15 Mar 2019 09:25

Explain?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Mar 2019 09:34

Poop scoopers!

Dermot

Dermot Report 15 Mar 2019 09:35

Responsible dog walkers take care of certain doggy matter.

Contamination is an ever present worry.

Barbra

Barbra Report 15 Mar 2019 09:46

The knowledge from this member really does confirm he is well informed & should be listened to ;-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Mar 2019 10:15

Never seen anyone pooper scooping with their bare hands :-(

Dermot

Dermot Report 15 Mar 2019 11:39

I'm told that hand-shaking is very popular in France where, on a daily basis for example, work colleagues are known to greet each other with a hand shake.

Hand shaking practice is alien to UK residents & Her Majesty always wears gloves when she is out & about at various functions.

Sensible lady!

I'm trying my best to overlook 'Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it' ugly thought.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 Mar 2019 12:07

Another bit of advice now that I have read yesterday's newspaper.

Dress right or leave the flight! The young lady was wearing what looked like a black bra to me.

ME: Some people have no decorum.

OH: Or tops.

Advice is to buy some.

;-) :-D

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 15 Mar 2019 12:19

:-)

Annx

Annx Report 15 Mar 2019 17:24

Should we shake hands with anyone when you see how many enter and leave public toilets without washing them? :-S

Dermot

Dermot Report 15 Mar 2019 17:34

Whatever happened to the public toilet notice: "Now was your hands!"

There is no shortage of clean water in the UK. :-0

David

David Report 15 Mar 2019 18:09

Annx,even the tap handles in public WC's are contaminated, how could they not be ?
Same goes for the handles on the doors.

Island

Island Report 15 Mar 2019 18:10

You should still do it Dermot. You shouldn't need a notice to remind you.

Annx

Annx Report 15 Mar 2019 18:49

Many of the taps around here operate without touching David, you just wave your hand under, same with the soap. I take your point about the door though, but I don't touch the handle if there is one and use tissue or my sleeve to open them.

I regularly attend the research unit at a local hospital, so see people going in and leaving all the time without washing their hands, yet it is free and right in front of them. It's basic hygiene that can save many lives, yet they just don't care about the health of the patients, themselves or others after they leave.

Island

Island Report 15 Mar 2019 19:34

I've been pulling my sleeve over my hand when touching public door handles, grab bars on buses etc for years due to immunosuppressant meds - and basic hygiene.

I also take care when picking up my dogs deposits, so Dermot need not fear shaking my hand - but would I (or my dog) be safe shaking his? :-0

David

David Report 15 Mar 2019 20:20

If the local authority thoroughly cleaned public loos on a daily basis they wpold be more hygienic and there would be less vandalism.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 Mar 2019 21:17

I like one that we found in one of our local tourist spots.

You put your money in the slot, door opens, you go in and use the facilities, exit, then the door locks and the whole unit disinfects itself.

I don't know why there are not more around.

David

David Report 16 Mar 2019 04:44

I'd suggest the reason or one of the reasons is because a heap of bricks and some plumbing are a a great deal cheaper than the modern version.

Some years ago in Consett back in the 80's I was caught short. I dashed into the lavvy in the bus station only to find I's entered the ladies !! Too late, I was bursting . I'd no no sooner locked the door and sat when a lady came in and used the adjacent cubicle. I remember I almost held my breathe.

Dermot

Dermot Report 16 Mar 2019 06:51

Devon & Cornwall residents are being urged to urinate in the shower cubicle in a bid to save water & reduce excess water charges at the same time. Everyone complains about the high water rates in this lovely area of the UK.

The 'Go with the Flow' campaign is the brainchild of South West Water. They want householders & holiday visitors to take their first wee of the day while having their morning shower. That assumes, of course, that most people do prefer a shower rather than a long relaxing period in a waterless bath. I suppose those few smelly morons who rarely wash are not bothered either way.

Would you please excuse me now? I’m bursting to have a shower. I cannot wait until April Fools' day.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 16 Mar 2019 07:59

I think it will be the main reason, David.

Local authorities' budgets won't stretch beyond essentials (apart from things like twinning trips and hospitality, of course). ;-)