General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Antepodean gardeners please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Mar 2019 19:08

I have read Australians mentioning that they have had a vegetable they call choke for their dinner.

In the James Wong collection,Suttons are offering a plant called Achocha Cornuba which is a climber with little things a bit like spiky peppers on it.

Is this a choke?
If it is, what is it like to grow and to eat, please?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 17 Mar 2019 21:09

Its Artichokes they are referring to.

one grown on the vine is called ===Choko.

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Mar 2019 21:39

That is the word!

I know I will never be growing any sort of artichoke, they are the Devils droppings!

Is the vegetable I mentioned a choko then?

Allan

Allan Report 17 Mar 2019 22:01

Not an artichoke, but actually a member of the gourd family

https://aussietaste.com.au/glossary/vegetables-a-to-z/choko/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chayote

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Mar 2019 22:38

I would really like to have a bit of empirical information.

Allan

Allan Report 17 Mar 2019 22:55

Can't help you there, Sharron :-(

We did grow them over the chook-house in Leonora, which is in the goldfields and has a typical desert climate, mainly as they were very easy to grow and provided shad for the hens.

Being newly arrived from the UK, and before the days of the internet, the chokoes themselves appeared weird and uninteresting so we never tried eating them