General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

why am i not surprised

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maddie

Maddie Report 19 Mar 2019 12:01

3 yearsago sprecsavers came to my home to give an eyetest.
I spent a lot of money and had to wait over 3 months befrore i finally got my glasses.
I must say the frames are very robust and are still in exellent condition

On friday they rang to say my eye test was due and the could come on monday. I expressed a preference for the afternoon
BUT when i asked if new lenses could be fitted to the fames i had she said it was at my risk. I said thats fine. Couldn't afford to spend lots of money on new frames.

Se would ring me back with an appointment time.

No phone call and they didn't turn up.

Guess they are just a money making machine and don't give a damn about peoples eyesightt. So much for recycling

Won't be going to specsavers again

maddie

David

David Report 19 Mar 2019 13:21

I only ever used Specavers once. Saw them in Eldon Shopping precinct years ago. Were then advertising two for the price of one, seemed extremely reasonable.Had my eyes tested, was told they be ready in an hour. Paid them then and continued shopping.Went back, they weren't ready. Hung around for what seemed like half an hour.She finally fetched them. I couldn't see through the lens. Complained, told her you've given me someone else's glasses. She insisted, I insisted. Try them them for 10 minuets til you get used to them she said. Like a fool I walked through the crowds in the precinct for five minuets. Felt like I needed a white stick. Went back into Spec avers and loudly insisted on my money back. A crowd of customers were made aware of the problem (by me). Eventually she reluctantly gave me my money back. Try your regular Optician and get a free eye test and prescription. Don't buy their frames, go to On-Spec where they will dispense your prescription and fit them into lenses of your choice at half the price. And if you like your current frames and they are undamaged, they will use them again. I recommend them.

Maddie

Maddie Report 19 Mar 2019 14:08

thank you David
the only reason i used them is because i am housebound and have difficulty in getting out

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 19 Mar 2019 14:16

OH and I have used Specsavers for years now and have never had any problems at all. It just depends on how good the optometrist is methinks. Brilliant service when we have needed adjustments and repairs too

David

David Report 19 Mar 2019 14:17

There are other reputable Opticians that will test your sight in your own home, ring around, will be worth it.
Then you could give the prescription, following the free sight test to a friend or relative or neighbor to get them for you.
The only way On-Spec could improve is to have an Optician on the premises.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 19 Mar 2019 14:30

Same as LaG OH and I have used them for years with no
problem.

Maddie

Maddie Report 19 Mar 2019 14:33

guess we all have different expeiences, thats life

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 19 Mar 2019 14:39

It most certainly is Maddie :-D :-D :-D. I wonder if I have jinxed my next visit in a couple of months by praising them ;-) :-D :-D :-D

Maddie

Maddie Report 19 Mar 2019 14:54

fingers x

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Mar 2019 16:23

I only used them once when we first moved here 27 years ago. I had the check and had the glasses, couldn't work out why I couldn't see through them properly but was persuaded to take them and try them, they were varifocal, as I had had before. Went back to them. The lenses had been made up the wrong way (i.e. left instead of right and vice versa). I have not been back. My sister goes to them in hampshire and has not had a problem..

Maddie

Maddie Report 19 Mar 2019 17:33

i guess i just felt let down , they only wanted a sale and offered no follow up
I wonder what would happen if my prescription had not changed ???

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 19 Mar 2019 18:00

I have used Specsavers since they opened in Leeds back in the 1970's.never had a problem but must admit I think they are top price and as Maddie says,they don't like reusing the frames you like.

Must admit the optometrist got me in hospital for my cataracts and no problems but I have had 3 letters now to go for my eye test but am thinking of going to Boots for my eye tet.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 19 Mar 2019 18:11

It is annoying if you can't use the same frames but
as in business it's all about the money.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 19 Mar 2019 20:00

I worked for a High Street opticians for over 20 years, not Specsavers.
Reglazing your own frame is possible, but we always said it was at your own risk.
Sometimes the frame broke during glazing, we always offered an alternative free of charge, but people got upset. If the frame broke after a few months we couldn't replace it, people got upset. Sometimes the frame didn't fit very well, people got upset. So you can see why we tried to deter people from using their own old frame.

In the end, with any High Street business, the shop is only as good as the people who work there.

David

David Report 19 Mar 2019 20:38

The first I ever had my sight tested my Father took me to
Hamlin's Ophthalmic Emporium (what a grand name)
The Optician told my Father one of his ears is nearer the back of his head than the other. Distinctly remember my Father saying there's nothing wrong with him :-D <3

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Mar 2019 20:46

When I had Fred to neglect, we did have one domiciliary company visit a couple of times but I really wanted him to have to go and get it done in Chichester before he started thinking he had had a stroke or something so I rang Specsavers to ask if the premises were wheelchair friendly. Some buildings in the centre of Chichester are listed so they are exempt.

I was told that their premises were not wheelchair friendly and they were not legally able to test the eyes of people in wheelchairs so we must have a domiciliary visit anyway.

Boots, however, were only too happy to test his eyes (he went in on his own too) along with the eyes of all the other wheelchair and buggy bound people who went in there

He may well have seen double when he came home because you can't go and get your eyes tested, or pick up your specs, without going in Wetherspoons can you?