General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Harvesting and stuff

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Mar 2019 14:44

Fred's mate works vey,very hard in our garden. He used to work on smallholdings so he knows all about growing and harvesting tomatoes and lettuce.

His runner beans are always prolific and, as I used to have to pick the beans for tea, I know how tight to pick them but, while he is good and getting even better at growing all sorts of things, I think we are missing out on a lot of crop because we don't know how to harvest.

Probably we are not alone in this. Growing instructions are easily accessed and are, of course, printed on the seed packet.

To both myself and Fred's mate, the garden was a secret place frequented by your dad and forbidden to anybody else. I think I grew up thinking that maybe I or it were called 'Get off the garden. Harvesting is a practical skill that needs to be shown.

Never having seen bread made, I needed to consult several people, all old ladies, before I could produce a reasonable loaf and some required several telephone calls. It was the same with jam, I have never come to terms with setting point but have needed to adapt since my friend on the common died. I was in the habit of putting the jam on the sauce and driving it up for her to poke.

It is just such a shame to see Fred's mate putting his heart and soul into growing without having huge quantities of goodies to show.

Von

Von Report 23 Mar 2019 14:57

Surely that's what You tube is for ;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Mar 2019 15:13

It is not the same as an old lady or a dad though is it?

Von

Von Report 23 Mar 2019 15:21

No but it saves wasting stuff

My neighbours save a huge amount of their produce or they share it with friends including me and I share my surplus with them.
There must be some others in your village with whom you communicate.

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Mar 2019 15:24

Fred's mate has huge confidence problems. He feels that I am criticizing him, in fact he has just stormed off home because I mentioned it.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 23 Mar 2019 15:46

Have you thought of joining a horticultural society so many elderly people to help and give advise

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Mar 2019 15:53

That is a thought, Sue.

I doubt he would entertain it though because he would think they were judging him.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 23 Mar 2019 16:09

People at the HS 's don't judge just help if asked

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 23 Mar 2019 16:10

Sharon does he like showing the veg and flowers,he may like the societies if he does

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 23 Mar 2019 16:34

We had 2 acres of organic veg (far too much for the 5 of us). We would pick as soon as possible and allow the remaining nutrients to produce more for harvesting. We sold all our surplus because it was organic - slugs included at no extra cost (if you were lucky).

It was time consuming but we used the kids (aged 5, 6 and 7) as slaves :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Mar 2019 16:38

I always want to learn more but he thinks that he is being judged as incompetent if he doesn't know something.

As I mentioned, he had a job on one of the local smallholdings which suited him well for years but it did mean he didn't get to mix with all the ghastly people the rest of us had to so he has not had to deal with posers.

After his employer retired he was sent on a back to work course and was particularly wound up about one other student who covered his own fear of inadequacy with a lot of big-headed pose. It took me a long time to get him to understand that this man was feeling just as overwhelmed as he was.

It is such a shame because he is so kind and hardworking and thorough in the extreme. The only person who thinks he is not up to scratch is him.