General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish Military Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phyll

Phyll Report 14 Apr 2019 10:08

a few years ago a very kind person helped me to find some records. Unfortunately & being the idiot that I am, I have mislaid the information.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find: Frederick James West born 1875 in Sussex, England. The record showed he had joined the Irish Militia in 1905 & he was living in Dublin. He was struck off the strength in Sept. 1905.

I would love to get a copy of the record to put in my tree.
Thanks to all who can help.
Phyll

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Apr 2019 10:41

There’s this from Findmypast

Frederick James
Last name West
Birth year 1873
Birth parish Brighton
Birth county Sussex
Birth country England
Service number 3331
Regiment Dublin Artillery
Year 1905
Attestation date 26 May 1905
Attestation age years 32
Attestation service number 3331
Attestation corps Dublin City R G A (Militia)
Document type Attestation
Series Wo 96 - Militia Service Records 1806-1915
Archive
The National Archives
Archive reference WO 96
Box 1336
Box record number 298
Record set British Army Service Records

Have looked at the 3 images which says he was living in Staffordshire. He’d previously served for 12 years & was discharged 10 Jan 1905. The medical report was dated May 1905 in Dublin.
He was awol 3 Jul 1905 from Gunnery & Training/annual training. He was struck off the strength 16 Sep 1905

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Apr 2019 10:42

If you can wait awhile, I can probably send the images later this morning.

Added 11:05. 3 attachments sent by PM

If he re-enlisted in 1905 & had previously served for 12 years, there must be other records (assuming they survived) from about 1893. Would they be with the Irish regimental archives rather than the National Archives in London?