General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cheap dinner?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Apr 2019 11:53

I was watching 'Back In Time For Dinner' yesterday. It was about the 1980s and the miners strike was mentioned.

One of the dishes made was made with sliced onions, potatoes and carrots in a casserole with corned beef and some dumplings.

I was only thinking how good it looked and wondering if I could do it with chickpeas when The lady on the programme mentioned how humbling it was to eat a dish like that and realize that people had had to feed their families on it.

Well, I thought that was a pretty standard sort of meal to serve up.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 18 Apr 2019 12:23

Sharron, without the dumplings, we know it as corned beef hash - one of OH's signature dishes.

I had to show him how to do it properly, of course, as my Mum used to make it, a casserole,cooked in the oven with the corned beef sliced thickly, cos his (in a pan on the hob) was nowhere near as good as Mum's. :-D

He calls his pinnacelty/pannacilty (no idea of the spelling but I have heard it called pan haggerty).

A rose by any other name ..... tastes the same. :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Apr 2019 12:27

Sounds quite tasty to me.

I remember a meal I made in a hurry, when our children were young.

Sausage meat was pressed into a casserole dish and dried herbs shaken on top.
Next came a layer of finely sliced onions topped by a layer of sliced tomatoes.

Over the top I put 'pastry' made with suet, flour and water, which I mixed together in about 2 minutes. Couldn't be bothered to roll it out, so just stretched it to fit the casserole dish.

When cooked, it was declared 'That's great Mum, please can we have that again another day?'

As most meals were eaten without compliment, I was quite pleased with that one.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 18 Apr 2019 12:30

Just looked it up and pan haggerty has cheese in it, apparently.

You could put any of it in front of me and I'd scoff the lot. :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Apr 2019 18:13

I made corn beef hash in a pan several times when we were up at the cabin, with limited resources, including having only a 2 burner camp stove and a covered charcoal bbq to cook on :-D

I based it on memories of what my mother had made back in the day ............. but added more "spices", as I do every one of Mum's recipes that I make.

Madge

Madge Report 18 Apr 2019 18:19

Like JoyLouise that was our Thursday tea without the dumplings

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Apr 2019 22:29

My Yorkshire mom used to make something that she called pannaciltee (I don't know how to spell it). Over the years I've asked different Brits if they've ever heard of it and the answer was always no. Today for the first time I've seen it mentioned on this 'thread. However Mom's was made with leftover roast beef. sliced potatoes, onions and grated carrots in a beef broth or thin gravy, cooked in the oven so that the top layer of potatoes were crispy.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Apr 2019 23:45

Margaret ............. that sounds a lot like a version of cottage pie which to me growing up was made with ground beef (remains of the roast beef put through the mincer) and sliced potatoes on top.

But then, what we called shepherd's pie was ground beef (or minced left over roast beef) with mashed potatoes on top!

I keep reading that shepherd's pie is made with ground lamb, and cottage pie with beef

My parents were Lancashire mill town through and through!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Apr 2019 23:53

???????????????

nearest I could find to pannaciltee was this, on Wikipedia ........

"Panackelty (also spelt panacalty, panaculty, panackerty '"panaggie'" or abbreviated as panack) is a casseroled dish, traditional throughout the northeast of England and especially associated with Sunderland and County Durham consisting of meat (mainly corned beef) and root vegetables (mainly potatoes, onions and carrots) left to bake throughout the day in an oven pot on low heat or cooked slowly on a low heat in a pan, hence the name PANacalty. The dish exists in a number of local variations that differ in name, meat and vegetable content. This dish is also referred to as "tatey (potato) pot" or "corned beef and tatey pot.

"Around the Humber estuary a version is known as pan aggie and consists of layers of bacon, corned beef and onions topped with either sliced or mashed potatoes.

"The Northumberland version, pan haggerty, comprises potatoes, onions and cheese baked in a baking dish,[1] while panackelty, in the Sunderland region, comprises leftover meat cooked slowly with leftover root vegetables made in a slow cooker or served in casserole dish left in the oven to simmer and if short of ingredients from night before would usually add more fresh root vegetables a tin of corned beef and sliced potatoes added on top. The dish is also sometimes cooked in a frying pan, or made in a large pan and served as a soup, which allows it to be left on the hob and later reheated"

see also ......
https://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Food-and-Drink/Question130235.html

does that seem to answer the questions??????????????

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 19 Apr 2019 06:38

Looked at that site, Sylvia. OH (Durham-born) used to make it as said, with thinly sliced corned beef in a pan on the hob - too much like mush for me as the corned beef ended up in shreds.

I showed him Mum's way, in the oven, thinly sliced potatoes and onions but thickly sliced corned beef - he agrees, is much better, crispy topped and corned beef you can actually get a mouthful of.

For me, Shepherds' Pie is always made with minced lamb and Cottage Pie with minced beef as Mum used to make them - and she is Lancs and Liverpool through and through (as you probably remember).

OH and I always add grated cheese to the top of Shepherds' Pie whereas Mum used to add cheese and sliced tomatoes on top.

What I can't find now (never used to make them as OH can't digest gluten so it was easier for me to buy them for myself) is a proper Scots Pie - made with water pastry and minced lamb. Iceland used to do them properly but for some reason they started to use minced beef. When I asked in the store, only the more senior ladies agreed that a real Scots Pie as we knew it, contained minced lamb and not beef. Such a shame, as I rarely eat pies or pastries but a Scots Pie was a treat.

It is fun having different regions complete with food (and accents!) as well as the variations that have been adapted by individual families. I love the variety.

Edit: Scotch pies, of course, no Scots went into them! ;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Apr 2019 15:23

I know the dish with mince and sliced potatoes to be Poor Mans Goose.

Madge

Madge Report 19 Apr 2019 18:04

I still make it was beef normally with the left over beef from sunday (if the joint of beef is a big one) dinner for Monday nights tea in winter