General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sisal Brainstorm

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 25 May 2019 23:26

Because I have sold a few dishcloths and the local U3A are having a table top sale, I thought I would have a go at making some eco-friendly scourers as well.

Somebody on FB mentioned that they knit the from sisal.

I have the sisal and I have had a go at knitting one with 5mm needles and it took all afternoon to knit ten rows of ten stitches. Not only that, I looked like you do when you are first learning to knit with the needles at funny angles and your tongue out.

Have had a go on the weaving sticks and a knitting loom and they are no good.

Now I am trying to do extremely loose knitting on small needles but I keep forgetting and pulling them tight.

Just wondered if anybody had any inspired ideas as to anything else I might try.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 May 2019 23:56

I presume you're using garter stitch.
How about using 2 strands of sisal and huge needles?

Having said that, I can't remember the actual size of 5mm knitting needles, as mine are in the spare (hoarding) room! Are they big?

Scouring cloths don't have to be 'close' knitted, they can be quite loose..

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 May 2019 03:43

5mm needles = 6 UK (8 US)

to put it in sequence ...........

2 mm needles = 14 UK, 0 US

3.5 mm AND 3.75 mm = 9 UK, 3.5 mm = 4 US, 3,75 mm = 5 US

4 mm needles = 8 UK, 6 US

6.5 mm needles = 3 UK, 10½ US

8 mm needles = 0 UK, 11 US

If I remember correctly, 'cos I almost always used size 8 or 9 needles ................ the smaller the mm the thinner the needle

I might suggest using thicker needles for the sisal, that might work better.

I showed both the UK, US and metric sizes to show how confused I used to get over here!!!!!!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 May 2019 03:53

There is a pattern for making a sisal sponge scrubber that might give some hints .......

http://thebeautyinsimple.com/diy-natural-scrubby-sponge/

She used size 7 needles, which would be 4.5 mm in both UK and US conversions.

I couldn't tell if she was in the US or the UK

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 May 2019 15:12

Have had a look at that site and I think she must have knitted up 1ply sisal.

I have never used e-Bay but did track down some twine that is advertised as '1ply jute sisal twine' and OH has ordered some for me.

It will be interesting to see what it is when it comes because sisal and jute are two totally different substances and are made from different plants.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 26 May 2019 16:24

its a pity Ena is no longer with us...you might've been in the market for Hairnets?