General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Opera singer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Jun 2019 13:09

I don't like opera. That is not a value judgement because I have tried and have watched some on YouTube but just don't enjoy listening to the human voice being used in that way.

Last night I went to a U3A event which was an Italian buffet and a talk on conspiracy theories which I was very much looking forward to.

Come the event and there was an announcement that the man giving the talk had let them down and a member who was, of course, an opera singer, was going to entertain us before we ate.

Oh well, the food was good.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Jun 2019 16:27

At least you had a member ready to step in Sharron. The good thing about U3A is that many members have talents they can use.

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Jun 2019 16:51

What has that got to do with anything?

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 22 Jun 2019 18:49

Sharron, I now know what caused the thunder we had...… your opera singer.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Jun 2019 18:51

Somebody's been looking up social stereotypes - and believing them!
I trust he's lived in both Southampon and Portsmouth to justify his sweeping statements, otherwise he could find himself in the awkward position of someone asking him for specifics to back up what he claims.
So incredibly 'clever' comparing the inhabitants of a whole country to those of a couple of small cities too!

How about 'stating' that all inhabitants of, say, Christchurch are talentless doddery old fools who vote Tory, whereas those who live in Sweden are talented, young and forward thinking.
Works as well as your analogy.

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Jun 2019 19:45

Don't know what Southampton and Pompey have got to do with me and what I was saying anyway, or what Italians are capable of.

The last Italian night I went to had a bloke from down the road playing his accordion.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Jun 2019 20:23

Back to he subject.
I too would have been very peeved if an interesting talk was replaced by an opera singer!
The two have nothing in common - unless the singer was a conspiracy theorist in which case they should have spoken

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Jun 2019 21:18

You are not very far away from me are you ,Malcolm?

Have you had any thunder? We have had a bit of rain but , as far as I know, we have seen nothing of those spectacular storms.

I think the organizers panicked a bit when they were let down and I have absolutely no reason to complain, I just don't enjoy opera, sung by anybody.

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Jun 2019 04:02

I know a few people in Southampton and Portsmouth who it seems have all the same talents as all of the Italians....then again I know quite a few Italians who have none of those skills ....funny old World isn't it......Yes Sharron it would be a tad annoying to get something totally different but at least the person step forward and did something I suppose shame it wasn't something you'd like though.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 23 Jun 2019 10:02

Half of my family lives in Southampton and Portsmouth, I lived in the latter until age 10. We had lovely neighbours - he was a footballer and she was an opera singer! :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Jun 2019 11:17

Not a fan of female opera singers, most too warbly for my taste ( that applies to some singers of other genres too who stretch words to fit too many notes eg you-ou-ou-ou -ou) but I did enjoy the only one I've been to age 10 at a super old theatre.

On balance I'd probably prefer the singing to the speaker on conspiracy theories but would like the food more :- )

Island

Island Report 23 Jun 2019 11:35

Did somebody have just one cornetto too many? :-0 :-D

I doubt I would have gone to a talk on conspiracy theories but as you've mentioned it Sharron, I'm intrigued.
I think opera is hilarious, especially if there's plenty of posturing :-D I would have laughed.

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 23 Jun 2019 12:32

Hi Sharron, i'm about 5 miles to the east of you, the way the crow flies. We had just one clap of thunder the other night

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Jun 2019 12:47

Now if someone is looking in on this thread today they may wonder why we're all wittering on about Southampton and Portsmouth....well Rollo had a comment on here stating something along the lines everyone in Italy is amazing and can do everything but people in Southampton and Portsmouth can't!! Seems in the cold light of day maybe he changed his mind and he's removed the comment :-D

Edit...so Sharron isn't being rude with her comment what's that got to do with it, it was directed at Rollo comment!!

Island

Island Report 23 Jun 2019 13:04

It's gone Caroline, why bring it up now? I'm sure no-one will give a toss about any 'wittering'

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Jun 2019 13:29

Because much of this thread makes no sense now!

Island

Island Report 23 Jun 2019 14:16

There's nowt wrong with a meander :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 23 Jun 2019 16:21

"Lonely as a cloud" etc.etc