General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any historians out there for period 1886 to 1914

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 28 Jun 2019 13:41

Hello

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum but i wondered if anyone knew what or who were the "specials" in or around 1911.

Thank you

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 28 Jun 2019 13:45

Where does it appear on the census form?

My first thought was a Special Constable but there could be any number of explanations so see what else turns up on the thread.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 28 Jun 2019 13:54

Were they reporters who reported on the wars?

Christine

Christine Report 28 Jun 2019 14:08

It is include in correspondence received by my Great Grandfather in 1911. The sentence ... of course these people not being specials do not understand ...

I wondered what specials were

Thank you

McAlp

McAlp Report 28 Jun 2019 15:06

Could it mean returned soldiers ?
As the Boer War ended 1902?
Ann

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Jun 2019 15:11

See thread on Genealogy Chat, to keep it in context.

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1378279

better to add there really?

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 28 Jun 2019 15:11

What was your Gt Grandfather's occupation? What was the correspondence about and who was it from or to?

Thanks, Christine :-)

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 28 Jun 2019 15:14

Thanks, Rose

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 28 Jun 2019 15:23

From today way back to the founding of the modern by Robert Peel police force "special constables" are and have been volunteers who have a "day job" but also aid the police when they need more people. They are paid. Generally tney wear uniform.

The "Specials" in Northern Ireland approx 1910 - 2001 were a volunteer section of the Royal Irish (later Royal Ulster) Constabulary. They were all members of the Orange Order. The "Specials" spread fear and loathing amongst the Catholics resident in Ulster and were a major factor in the suppression of the RUC in 2001.

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Jun 2019 15:30

Anyone here able to translate old German? if so please go to other thread :-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 28 Jun 2019 16:21

On the other thread I have mentioned Special Services which would connect him to the armed forces.