General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FREE ACCESS to ANCESTRY.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 4 Jul 2019 19:20

All UK & Commonwealth Military Records.

FREE ACCESS UNTIL SUNDAY*

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/free-access

Harswell

Harswell Report 4 Jul 2019 22:36

Ancestry is as useless as most sites but claims to have all records.
The first four I checked gave no records even though I have them in front of me.
Keep your money and check with government depts. direct.

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 6 Jul 2019 13:50

For the weekend crew :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 Jul 2019 16:48

Not ALL UK records, the ones on Fold3 are not included, example:

UK, Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Soldier Service Records, 1760-1920

View Original Image on Fold3.

Name: Wm Hny Fishlock
Enlistment Age: 18
Birth Date: abt 1882
Birth Place: Brensfood, Middlesex
Enlistment Year: 1900
Regiment: R. A. R. H. & R.d. F. A.
Regimental Number: 12986/r. F. A.
Attestation Paper: Yes

Choccy

Choccy Report 6 Jul 2019 18:35

The above record is on FMP though.

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 Jul 2019 18:53

Thanks Choccy it is on FMP and I have a sub there, but I had a look at the free weekend on Anc' in case they had added anything re Crimean war records, and that came up, it just seems unfair that Ancestry say "All military records" when it isn't.

Harswell

Harswell Report 6 Jul 2019 22:21

The records I were checking were all for WW11. I have travelled all over the British Isles to find more details and have been lucky to access files first hand from military records because they were not available from GR/Ancestry etc.

Barbra

Barbra Report 6 Jul 2019 23:07

Nudge

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 7 Jul 2019 17:04

Harswell they are not online anywhere, you have to apply to MOD for anyone who served in the forces after 1920.

There is a 100 year rule for allowing documents to go online in UK. !921 census will come online in 2022 and swathes of the 1939 Register are blacked out due to people still being alive.

Some 70% of WW1 documents were lost during WW2 bombing but those left are online.

Harswell

Harswell Report 7 Jul 2019 22:32

Forgot about 100 year rule.
My grandmother was born in England in 1874 and even though I have her birth certificate in front of me she does not exist on Ancestry.