General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Subscripton

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jackie

Jackie Report 4 Jul 2019 23:29

Can anyone explain the subscription. I am on a trial and do want to continue but I can't understand the rules. Can you subscribe to standard or platinum and pay monthly and cancel at any time or are you tied in to a whole year. I would like to see how I go for a month or 2 and have the option to cancel. Is that doable

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 Jul 2019 06:55

It’s best to subscribe to standard

Lots of helpers on here that will help with look ups plus there’s free sites like FreeBMD and Family search that can help with your research.

You can’t view bmd certificates anyway ,they have to be purchased either as a paper copy or pdf from

www.gro.gov .uk
You need their refs though that can be found on the freebmd site

Its still work in progress on there and is sparse from the 1960 onwards

You can decided from the prices on genes which length of time you want to subscribe too
Don’t tick the box for auto renew until you decide you want to continue with being a member

Once subscribed you are in for that term

If you do decide to search for census etc on genes then as a standard member you have to purchase additional units to look at them.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Jul 2019 08:23

Definitely just go for standard membership and ask on here if you need anything looking up on subscription sites like Findmypast or Ancestry.

If you go for Standard membership it should be:-

£1.67 per month if you choose 12 months.
£2.20 per month if you choose 6 months
£4.95 per month if you choose 1 month

If you go for Platinum membership it should be:-

£6.67 per month if you choose 12 months
£19.95 per month if you choose 1 month

You are tied in to the number of months you choose to go for..

With Standard membership you can:-

View trees of over 13 million Genes Reunited members
Contact members who share your ancestors to discover your family history
Join the Genes Reunited community to ask for genealogy tips and advice

On top of that with Platinum membership you can search :-

Victorian Census Records from 1841-1901 (England, Wales and Scotland)
Birth Marriage and Deaths from 1837-2004 (England and Wales)
The complete 1911 census for England and Wales – See your ancestor's own handwriting!

However these records are better searched for on other sites but as already stated you can ask on the community boards for look-ups and someone will help until you decide if you want to subscribe to the other sites or not and there are free sites to use.

Kath. x

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Jul 2019 11:10

On the other hand:

You could take a free trial on Findmypast, the much larger sister site, and if you decided to go with that the records are much broader.

Depends what you want to find? If you have Scottish ancestors you need a different site, if Irish there are a number of really good free options.

Jackie

Jackie Report 6 Jul 2019 20:50

Thank You. Do I have to cancel my free trial first then go back in to subscribe.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Jul 2019 23:47

I'm not certain Jackie. I would think you could just go to "upgrade" or "account" at the top of the screen and decide on which subscription you want to take out and it should then let you become a standard or platinum member from that point.

Kath. x

Jackie

Jackie Report 7 Jul 2019 00:01

Hi Kathleen. I was worried i might lose all my threads etc. once i cancelled and registered again so I copied them all in a word doc. Anyway, no need because it worked the way you said Thank you

Jackie

Jackie Report 7 Jul 2019 00:05

I have messaged 3 people who had links with the same name as someone in my tree and they haven't replied . Is there anything I can do or do I have to hope that they will log at some point.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jul 2019 00:55

See reply on other thread regarding messages.
https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1378423

When you go into 'Account' (at the extreme top of the page) does it give you the option to not subscribe? Even non paying account holders can receive replies to messages previously sent, or reply to new contacts. That's why we advise, if possible, to allow an account to lapse rather than to delete it altogether.

Caroline

Caroline Report 7 Jul 2019 00:55

As noted on your other thread patience...some people take forever to reply for whatever reason :-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jul 2019 10:23

Don't expect that you will definitely get a reply from some people. This site is not what it was 15 years ago when it was quite new and people seemed much more interested in researching their family history. Lots of the trees on here have been on years and their owners never come onto the site and may have changed their email address from the one they had when they registered with Genes. With a new email address Genes have no way of letting them know they have a message from you. They would have to make the decision to come onto the site themselves before they would know you have sent them a message and they may never do this. It's very frustrating but there's nothing you can do about it.

We asked for years for there to be a way to see the last time a person accessed the site but Genes wouldn't or couldn't do it.

Kath. x