General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cricket World cup

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 14 Jul 2019 22:45

Well done England :-D

Allan

Allan Report 14 Jul 2019 23:19

Bit of a cliff-hanger

Dermot

Dermot Report 15 Jul 2019 08:31

The England boys were teetering towards it for a while & eventually succeeded. The achievement stand so tall, a statue in its honour can never match up.

A bit of good news for a change which we should appreciate. :-D

Barbra

Barbra Report 15 Jul 2019 08:54

A great match* Congratulations England * :-D

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 15 Jul 2019 09:08

Nail biting to the very end. Well done both teams great match.

Very fitting - man of the match came from England, man of the competition a New Zealander.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Barbra

Barbra Report 15 Jul 2019 09:32

Think Prince William could have been at the Cricket as it was a very important game .shame really instead he was watching two Foreign players at Wimbledon saying that fantastic game of Tennis best man won. :-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 15 Jul 2019 10:29

ah, Sweet Caroline
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzdTbxqPd1k

:-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 15 Jul 2019 11:02

There'll always be an England ... and an Ireland, South Africa, West Indies, Pakistan, New Zealand too ...

"The 15-man squad includes five players born outside the UK, including the Irish-born captain, Eoin Morgan. Tom Curran and Jason Roy are originally from South Africa, while Ben Stokes and Jofra Archer were born in New Zealand and Barbados respectively. In addition, Moeen Ali and Adil Rashid are the grandchildren of Pakistani immigrants and both belong to the Mirpuri community.

While the team represents England and Wales, under English and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) regulations a player must be a British citizen, have been born in England or Wales, or have lived in either country for three years to qualify."

Caroline

Caroline Report 15 Jul 2019 11:20

I think that's his way of saying well done too :-D

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 15 Jul 2019 11:36

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 15 Jul 2019 21:53

And now it's being reported that England should NOT have won as one of the four run overthrow did not comply with one of the more obscure rules of the game.

Naturally this point was raised by an Australian umpire, and Australia were favourites to win the cup again I can only put this down to sour grapes! :-|

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 16 Jul 2019 13:56

We recorded the final to watch when we got back from a wedding and visit.

We only saw about ten minutes at my brother's home when NZ was batting before we all went out for the day so we were looking forward to getting home and watching from scratch as we are keen cricket fans.

We stopped at a Mway services for a coffee break. Usually we sit in somewhere and have a snack and coffee but OH went in and bought two coffees to bring back to the car as we did not want to hear anything that had happened.

A car pulled next to us and all of a sudden the young lad, who was watching his phone, let out almighty cheers and fist pumped .... the best-laid plans!

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 16 Jul 2019 15:42

Alan
Australian and retired I read !!

What about "the Umpires decision is final"

And Roy was not out in the previous match-so there ;-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 16 Jul 2019 18:54

At one of the matches we went to at Manchester, I was standing quietly waiting for everyone to finish off doing whatever it was they were doing when a guy came round the corner - walking steadily but briskly - dark glasses, jacket and trousers.

He was staring straight ahead, not looking at anything to the side but as soon as I saw him I thought 'I know you.'

As he walked past, I thought 'It's Ringo', and bear in mind I've seen him a few times.

You'd have thought I was losing the plot when I told OH, daughter, son-in-law and grandson! You're seeing things ... Are you sure you're OK ... and other words to that effect from OH and daughter. S-I-L and the young un kept quiet.

Ringo's pic is in today's paper and - yes, I swear it was him. Obviously incognito to watch the match.

I feel vindicated .... O yea of little faith!!! Gonna cut it out to show 'em.