General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Apollo 11, 16 July 1969

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 16 Jul 2019 20:37

Dear All

Hello

Today is the 50th anniversary of the launch of Apollo 11 taking off for the Moon
from Cape Kennedy, Florida.

This was the start of the first attempt to land a man on the Moon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On board were three astronauts, Mr Neil Armstrong, Mr Michael Collins
and Mr Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin.

They carry with them goodwill messages from the heads of the member states of the United Nations and their flags.

he launch was watched by US Vice-President Spiro Agnew, who said it marked a "new era of civilisation".

He added:

"With the lift-off of Apollo 11, America enters a new age of discovery,"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is fitting salute to the courage of the astronauts and all the technical staff working behind the scenes, that there is a full moon this evening.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Neil Armstrong passed away on 7 August 2012, his family made a request to the millions of people who wanted to honor Neil:

In a statement they said:

"Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty.

The next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take gentle care
Best wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Jul 2019 20:48

I remember sitting up into the night wrapped in an eiderdown and watching the TV as history was made with the moon landing.

I'll go out and look at the moon later. I believe there is a partial eclipse, best visible about 10 30 p.m.

Barbra

Barbra Report 16 Jul 2019 21:15

Remember it very well we made history that day x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Jul 2019 21:23

It was our Golden Wedding last Friday so 50 years ago we were on honeymoon in Scotland and didn't see the take off but we were back in time to watch Neil Armstrong land on the moon.

My late father always believed that it didn't happen and it was all an elaborate film set!!

Kath. x

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 16 Jul 2019 22:35

The event was a bit of a damp squib in the UK.
Having taken time out around 9am to watch, a few minutes after landing and setting foot on the moon one of the crew aimed his Hasselblad at the sun by accident ... no more live pictures. Luckily they had spares.

Is it true that one of the following missions intended to tale a golf club and ball but NASA stopped it ?

How they did it with the relatively primitive technology of the time is extraordinary +++. America at its best.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Jul 2019 03:36

My father was visiting us in Vancouver, in our little 1 bedroom apartment. We rented a TV for his visit so he could see the investiture of the Prince of Wales and the landing on the moon.

It was absolutely fascinating to watch.

My dad died the following year, so I've always been glad that we could share this event with him.

We returned the TV to the shop at the end of the month and didn't have another one until OH bought one in early 1974 ............. we listened to the radio.