General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

NHS nursing auxiliaries

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 11 Aug 2019 12:35

Having recently spent another 13 days in hospital and chatting to all and sundry a few observations were discussed.

Since the awful Project 2000 was introduced the NA's role has much diminished.

Yes they can take and record usual obs, monitor output and make you comfortable. As a profession they are absolutely under used.

It seems that there is no progression either through exams or practical assessments. A number I spoke with all expressed disatisfaction with regard to their roles on the ward. They were deployed to hand out food and clean toilets when no domestic staff were around.

I have known most of these NAs for a while as I always get admitted to the colorectal ward.

They would all, without exception, like to be able to hang drips, withdraw canulas, insert canulas, take blood samples, replace bandages and dressings etc.,

As a patient I waited some hours for routine procedures which a NA could have carried out quite easily. I always disconnect my drip when an infusion has ended and cap my canula, no reason why someone confident and trained couldn't do that and take the pressure off the nursing staff.

All the NAs said they felt under appreciated which is a shocking endictment of today's system.

Thoughts?

Sue

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 11 Aug 2019 12:38

Seems strange that somebody hasn't seized on the availability of staff wanting to be trained to do these jobs when the NHS is crying out for staff. Why don't they 'make' another grade of auxillary I wonder?

Barbra

Barbra Report 11 Aug 2019 15:01

It's all about boundaries health & safety so many things could go wrong & family's & friends would soon be complaining about care. It's so stupid when maybe people want to progress & learn more as Nurses & Doctors could do with the help especially on a busy wards .Auxiliaries shouldn't clean toilets .Maybe make a brew & Make sure patients are comfy take to the toilet .help shower get dressed as a carer would do .but not clinical work unless fully trained for their own safety & patient care .Barbara

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 11 Aug 2019 15:38

At our local hospital they have Clinical Support Assistants (CSA) who are Healthcare Assistants with additional training. I don't know their full job description or training requirements but they do take bloods.

Also at our GP surgery we now have Clinical Associates, who bridge the gap between the nurses and doctors.

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 Aug 2019 16:05

I don't really understand the employment structure of the NHS, but, am I right in thinking that all nurses now need to be graduates?

This would seem to greatly undervalue practical expertize and experience.

Standards have slipped now that hospital staff no longer live in terror at all times but matrons were deemed unnecessary!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 11 Aug 2019 17:07

Lyndi, at our surgery we have Health assistants who help the nurses by taking blood taking stitches out, syringing ears etc. I have to admit to not getting put on the list of our health assistant because, nice as she is she lacks confidence so is very hesitant when doing things and really messed me around when taking out stitches.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 11 Aug 2019 17:15

Thanks for replies.

Something needs to be done regarding the wasted opportunities to both further the NA careers and lessen the burden on qualified nurses.

There should be pathways which they could access to train further if they wanted more responsibility.

Von

Von Report 11 Aug 2019 23:04

Sorry to hear you had been in hospital again Sue
Don't know if this only applies in England as I know some things in Health care are different in Wales
https://www.search.co.uk/blog/2018/09/how-to-climb-the-nhs-career-ladder-from-healthcare-assistant-to-registered-nurse

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 12 Aug 2019 07:10

Hi Von,

Yes that only applies to England, sadly

X

David

David Report 12 Aug 2019 08:20

All nurses are wonderful,often under estimated people

Our local Liberal Councellor was formerly the Lady Mayoress of Newcastle.

Before entering Politics some years back she was a RMN / RHN

A remarkable woman, a neighbour of mime.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Aug 2019 07:57

Taking away the bursary has ensured that, unless you have the money, training to be a 'full' nurse is out of limits!

David

David Report 14 Aug 2019 08:11

I didn't know that Maggie, I "thought" the nurses of differant rank /grade were taught

in teaching hospitals.