General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where did you get HER HAT? ......

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 16 Aug 2019 11:27

..... where did you get Jemima's hat? :-0 :-D

On Wednesday I had the great thrill of being able to wear what is reputed to be THE HAT of none other than the great Welsh Heroine JEMIMA NICHOLAS (Jemima Fawr)

My visiting Australian 3rd cousin-once-removed, who shares Jemima with me as a many times Great Aunt, paid an obscene amount of money for it in a Pembrokeshire church auction :-D :-D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49465390

Whether or not it really is THE HAT ... who knows for sure ...but we had a great time with it! :-D :-D :-D :-D

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 16 Aug 2019 12:38

My cousin receiving Jemima Nicholas' hat

http://www.countyecho.co.uk/article.cfm?id=126971&headline=Last%20invasion%20Jemima%
E2%80%99s%20ancestor%20finally%20takes%20ownership%
20of%20hat§ionIs=news&searchyear=2019

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Aug 2019 12:40

Glad she's intending it to stay in Pembrokeshire. Whether genuine or not, it would have been a shame if it had left Wales/the UK.

Just think of the number of people who have worn it since it was made!!

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 16 Aug 2019 12:47

I know Det :-D

It's made of moleskin we think, and Denise is looking for someone to repair it just enough to make it stronger without destroying the history of it.

2 other Nicholas descendants were at our meet and we all had great fun trying it on- even Jemima's 4x Great Nephew! :-D :-D

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 16 Aug 2019 16:03

Have you seen BBC's Repair Shop - they have a leather expert on it.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 16 Aug 2019 18:00

We were talking about exactly that Pat :-D :-D :-D :-D

Denise has been watching the repeats since she's been over.
I love the programme- Suzie is brilliant as they all are on there!

I think they have someone in mind though. Not sure if it's through a connection at St Fagans

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 19 Aug 2019 19:50

Dear Jem

Hello

Now that's what I call classic headwear.

It would certainly be the perfect companion for my broomstick!

Take gentle care
Love Elizabeth, EOS
xx

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 19 Aug 2019 20:21

:-D :-D :-D @ Elizabeth <3