General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Policeman murdered

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbra

Barbra Report 16 Aug 2019 18:13

A 28 yrs old police man only married a month has been killed doing his duty its so sad the 3rd murder this week .what is the world coming to their family's will be heartbroken <3 Barbara

Von

Von Report 16 Aug 2019 18:32

So sad Barbra :-(
Thinking of his wife and family

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 16 Aug 2019 18:33

My old man was a copper in London. In those days we did not have mobile phones etc, All an officer on the beat had was a baton, a whistle and point meetings at 2 or 4 hours. Waiting for a husband and father to come home, late, in the wee small hours of a foggy winter night was fraught. Too often an officer had been roughed up but murder was almost unknown if feared.

The way things are today I think we are expecting far too much from an overstretched blue line.

Barbra

Barbra Report 16 Aug 2019 18:57

Times have changed ok but not for the better just lost for words sometimes wonder who will ever make this world a safer place God Help us All .

David

David Report 16 Aug 2019 21:23

At the back of the large car park at Hexham just in front of the cafe

is a marker for a Policeman.

I don't know if he fell and died there or was murdered there.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Aug 2019 21:47

Here's the story, David:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/pcs-sacrifice-remembered-1679091

David

David Report 17 Aug 2019 05:22

Thank you Maggie. It's been ten years or more since I was there.

Good of the Police Force to mark the spot. (I knew he wasn't a local)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 17 Aug 2019 07:56

So desperately sad for this young man and his wife and family.

Rest in peace, lad

Lizx

Barbra

Barbra Report 17 Aug 2019 10:18

Murder is Murder in this day & age every day occurrence tragic .doesn't matter who you are this one he was only married 4weeks ago Should have been on honeymoon next week Thinking of all his friends family RIP <3 Barbara x

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Aug 2019 16:35

Indeed but what the police themselves want is a million miles from the propaganda of The Mail, the Express, the Telegraph, back bench Tory MPs and most of all Priti Pattel and Boris Johnson.

Exceptionally Rory Stewart MP was doing a fine job as prisons minister. He has been moved into a non-job within the Ministry of Justice. The new Prisons Minister is Lucy Frazer QC MP . No comfort there.

David

David Report 17 Aug 2019 16:50

The removal of the death penalty removed the fear of killing a Policeman. IMO

If there were a referendum to bring back the death penalty for certainn crimes

I think the penalty would be restored and would be murderers would think

twice. Until it is restored the Police should perhaps wear more protecion.

Barbra

Barbra Report 17 Aug 2019 17:08

David .with the way things are police should wear riot gear it's the way forward to protect officers on duty .be prepared as the people have no respect or regard for police .parents need to know were their Children are .will this happen not in my lifetime its gone down the pan for years would anybody on here do their job not me Thankless drug abuse .drunks .murders .Barbara.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Aug 2019 17:37

Before the ending of capital punishment ( except for Treason ) two cases dominated public opinion, that of Ruth Ellis who murdered her lover and the Bentley Boys "Let them have it". As a result the abolition of the penalty passed Parliament in 1965 easily on a free vote.

The job of the police is to uphold the Queen's Peace and enforce law and order so far as that is consistent with the primary objective. They are not an executive branch of the Home Office. The police themselves call this "policing by consent".

Thus getting dolled up with protective gear like extras from Judge Dredd is not what the police want. Nor is the death penalty or the issue of sidearms which would further distance them from the public.

More than any other issue the police would like a sea change in the attitude of the general public. Habitual and serious law breaking is now endemic from the shop lifting which funds the county lines drug mafia to middle class cocaine and drink driving plus all manner of IT & white collar crime. There is a serious of lack of respect for other people hence the street crime, sophisticated burglaries, scams and hacking. It is wildly unrealistic for this to be controlled solely by the police.

A society either wants to be law abiding or it does not. In the latter case you end up with chaos as in Brazil or Indonesia. It is people not the police who make the choice.

The police would of course like to see the unwise cuts in funding and pay made by T May to be reversed. However they have better ideas of how to spend the money than politicians who tend to stunts and hyperbole. Certainly not thousands more police walking up and down the pavements.

The police know how to do their job. The govt. should provide the funding and let them get on with it not micromanage the job with no know how at all just prejudice.

Barbra

Barbra Report 17 Aug 2019 18:21

More protective clothing Rollo not riot gear wrong words. Guns are not the answer our police do an amazing job which I thank them for More needed to be seen & heard though give them respect & support Think that's me done now Barbara

David

David Report 17 Aug 2019 18:34

As part of a speech Boris Johnson has said he is going to put 20,000 extra

Police on the streets.Diane bbot said the same thing, but could'nt begin to

explain their cost.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 18 Aug 2019 00:53

:-( :-( :-(

Barbra

Barbra Report 19 Aug 2019 13:32

It's old money that should have gone to increase police forces how long will it be before our police get more help & support .something needs doing urgently not 12months _ 2years time now Barbara