General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What Do You Call It?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 21 Aug 2019 21:44

My husband confused my mother the other day by saying that children when he was a boy used to try and get coal from the pit bing without getting caught or burnt. I told my mum it was another name for the slag heap and that name she knew. My mothers granny Olive lived in the mining towns of the Welsh Valleys and my husband grew up in the mining areas in West Lothian, Scotland hence the confusion. What do other people call the waste coal pile?

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 21 Aug 2019 21:49

West Midlands a slag heap :-D

Allan

Allan Report 21 Aug 2019 22:16

Always knew them as slag heaps, Tawny, and I'm originally from Manchester :-)

Tawny

Tawny Report 21 Aug 2019 22:22

Sounds like it might just be us Scots then that call it a bing.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Aug 2019 00:49

Like Allan, I'm from the Manchester area, and we knew it as slag heap.

My brother's wife was born in Scotland, near Greenock, and she also said slag heap ................ though she had lived in the Greater Manchester area from about the age of 10.

The area where she lived used to be considered as in Cheshire, but now seems to be included in Tameside, Greater Manchester, Lancashire :-S

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 22 Aug 2019 16:08

I'm welsh always known them as slag heaps (now living in Scotland).

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose

Allan

Allan Report 22 Aug 2019 21:26

That was quite an emphatic statement, ShelleyRose :-D :-D