General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help to try and find out who someone's relative is

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 22 Aug 2019 12:38

Good afternoon,

Can anyone help please. Not sure if I am being really thick here or not. A friend is trying to find out who one of her relatives is/was. She knows that she has a second cousin who is in my tree on Ancestry but I/we are trying to find out who her father would have been in relation to this second cousin's father. Is there anyway of working this out please?

If anyone is able to assist then please get in contact and let me know what other details you require etc.

Kind regards,

Kathryn

Island

Island Report 22 Aug 2019 12:45

This may help
https://www.family-tree.co.uk/news-and-views/relationship-calculator-how-am-i-related-to-

Island

Island Report 22 Aug 2019 12:49

Can you not find the name of the second cousins father on birth reg's and take it from there?

Are the two fathers first cousins perhaps? Their children would be second cousins.

greyghost

greyghost Report 22 Aug 2019 12:53

You could Google "Relationship chart" and several examples come up which show how to work out a relationship

Second cousins (as long as there is no "removed' in the mix) would have a great-grandparent in common. The Fathers' of the second cousin would have a grandparent in common and be cousins..

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 22 Aug 2019 12:58

Okay so the lady I have in my tree whose father is my great uncle and who is my friend's second cousin so how would her father be related to my great uncle? Hope I'm making sense. The little grey cells don't work very well these days.

Kind regards,

Kathryn

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Aug 2019 13:02

is the birth years too recent to post names?

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 22 Aug 2019 13:05

I can give you access to my tree if that helps and I could give you the name of my great uncle etc who has passed.

Kind regards,

Kathryn

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Aug 2019 13:35

The lady's father could be related on either your father or your mother's side. If you know he is your great uncle then he is the brother of one of your grandparents - it could be either a grandfather or a grandmother on either your mother's or father's side of the family.

If you want to give me access to your tree and give the name of the lady's father then I can have a look for you.

How come you have him in your tree if you don't know the connection?

EDIT - sorry just realised that it is not you who has a great uncle who is this lady's father but someone else in your tree.

Kath. x

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 22 Aug 2019 13:52

Hi Kath, I've private messaged you.

Regards,

Kathryn

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Aug 2019 13:57

Hi Kathryn,

I've sent a request to view your family tree. We don't need each other's email addresses to do this.

Kath. x

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 22 Aug 2019 14:10

Hi Kath, have just invited you to my tree on Ancestry. Hope you receive the invite okay?

Kind regards,

Kathryn

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Aug 2019 14:21

Sorry Kathryn

I've tried to sign up for a free Ancestry account (which it's asking me to do) but it won't let me get past the password section.

Don't know what else to do.

Kath. x

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 22 Aug 2019 14:26

Hiya, didn't think it would do that. I'll see if I have the information that is required in my GR Tree.

Be back in a mo.

Kind regards,

Kathryn

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 22 Aug 2019 14:57

Hiya Kath, am in thr process of importing the tree to GR. Once done the if you are still, happy to help then I'll invite you.

Kind regards

Kathryn

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Aug 2019 14:58

Hi Kathryn

While I'm waiting for you to come back, had another think about this.

The lady you are trying to help. Her father would be first cousin to either Sheila's father or mother.

To get any further with the relationship I would need to know the lady's name, her father's name and also Sheila's mother's name - just in case the lady's father is a cousin of Sheila's mother rather than her father.

Hope there's not too much information here that shouldn't be on an open forum.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Aug 2019 15:01

Still happy to help but I have to leave the computer for a while (may be an hour or so).

Kath. x

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 22 Aug 2019 17:35

Still waiting for the tree to upload, not sure if something is wrong as it has been a good while since I clicked on import gedcom. Hey ho patience is a virtue and a comfort to a fool.

Kind regards,

Kathryn