General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Turmeric and honey capsules

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 4 Sep 2019 17:38

Hi peeps,
Is anyone taking this or has taken it and if so what are the pros and cons please.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 4 Sep 2019 18:07

Mostly harmless, can dent your wallet.

Due to changes in EU law the quantity of active turmeric in retail products from H&B and others is neglible, with or without honey. Not enough to fix aching backs and joints for instance. The same applies for turmeric sold for cooking.

However the root or fresh turmeric pieces def. do help
Just google this
turmeric root
and save yourself some money.
You will need a pestle & mortar.

Wild honey is nice but its health benefits are wildly oversold.

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 5 Sep 2019 18:28

Thank you Rollo, much appreciated. :-)

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 5 Sep 2019 18:40

Been thinking about Turmeric for my RA but will check
with my Rheumatologist first because of the meds I'm on.

Island

Island Report 5 Sep 2019 18:53

I'm thinking that too Emma as I can't tolerate ibuprofen so I've been trying to find out if turmeric would be ok. I know someone who takes it for her joints and gets on well with it, she's not RA though.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 5 Sep 2019 18:55

Read it doesn't work for all Island , I'm going to ask about
advanced Turmeric :-)

Island

Island Report 5 Sep 2019 18:59

what's advanced turmeric Emma?

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 5 Sep 2019 19:03

Supposed to be the supplement to help RA but
as I said works for some but not others :-D

Island

Island Report 5 Sep 2019 19:09

I'm not seeing mine until March so I'll have to do my own research

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 5 Sep 2019 19:11

I should be next month need to ask her about this advanced bit :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Sep 2019 19:50

It's a very good idea to always consult your medical person before taking any kind of supplement, not matter whether it's herbal, turmeric, natural organic, man-made or whatever.

Consulting is especially important when you are also taking other prescribed medications, because it is well-know that OTC supplements often interact adversely with prescription drugs ................ even one as simple as aspirin, paracetamol (or Tylenol).

Herbal preparations can be particularly concerning ................. I used to take an excellent herbal Chinese cough syrup until I noticed that my bp was always higher when I took it.

Very careful research on each of the 8 herbals said to be in the syrup showed that 2 of them were known to have an adverse effect on bp, with one of them being particularly bad.

Taking the syrup counter-acted the prescribed bp medication I was taking. :-(

Island

Island Report 5 Sep 2019 22:17

Sylvia, medics can and sometimes do get it wrong too.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Sep 2019 03:52

Oh yes .........

.......... but they had not prescribed the cough syrup. It was one that I had been using for 10 or 15 years before I developed high blood pressure.

I never thought to check it, and I should because part of my job had been to make myself aware of herbs and their uses. I knew so much about UK and North American herbs and their possible actions/interactions, but I just never thought of this syrup, partly because it was Chinese!!

The major part of the problem for medics is that they only get a few weeks training in pharmaceuticals and medications. After they get out into the real world, most of them can only rely on the pharmaceutical companies representatives, and how much are they going to tell the doctors about possible interactions??????

That's why pharmacists here in Canada now by law act as the "gatekeeper" for all prescription medications ........ they've had at least 4 years training AND also have computer programmes that catch medications that should not be taken together.

They can (have to) refuse to dispense the medication until after they have contacted the doctor and told him that he's prescribed the wrong medication based on what the patient is already taking. I've had it happen to me a couple of times because 2 of the medications I take should not be taken together, but it works for me and both myself and the doctor are aware of the possible side effects ............. but it means I have to go back to get my prescription after the pharmacist has talked to the doctor.

But supplements are something else again ............ no-one is really trained in how they may interact with prescribed medication. That comes by learning as time goes by, and there are sooooooooooooo many supplements that one can buy now on the market!

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Sep 2019 12:55

I was wondering if, because it will probably be a long-term supplement, it might not be a bad idea to consult a medical herbalist who might even be able to recommend something else.