General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Strange thought

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Sep 2019 23:04

Lying in bed this morning, I realised me, my siblings, and our two cousins are the first of my dad's side of the family to be born and brought up outside of Cornwall for over 700 years.
I've definitely got back to 1210 on the Cornish side - to one Roger De Carminowe.
Carminowe is a (now disappeared - lots of daughters) Cornish name.

Just have to verify the earlier families - but they get a bit confusing - with spouses dying, their survivors re-marrying, ancestors from Brittany moving to Cornwall, also spelling of names changing, and 'little' things like Gervaise Hornicote being known as Gervaise de Tintagel.

I have to admit, Cornish records are relatively easy to trace to quite a long way back - they're free online!

I'm also, now, unbearably proud that I passed my 11+ in Cornwall - my ancestral home! (but didn't realise how much at the time)

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Sep 2019 00:12

I can't pretend to have traced my family anything like as far back as you have but I do know that they were in this village in 1750.
The village has changed enormously since I was born here and there are not even many people here who were at primary school when I was whereas many of the previous generations grew up together and stayed here all through their lives. Many had been together through two wars.

Now I am treated as some sort of celebrity by people who have moved in, having come from big cities, like one of the cast of the Archers! I always say that I am indigenous fauna.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Sep 2019 00:36

You are a celebrity!
Times change, things move on - but you are evidence of it.
Did both your parents come from there?
I know my dad would be proud to know of his heritage - he never for certain who his father was.
I just wish he'd lived long enough to have his DNA done.
I'm 40 something % Celtic (Cornish), 40 somethng % Scandinavian (that would be mum's side - from Suffolk, and the rest (9.6 % Iberian ) from goodness knows where - possibly Hampshire via the New Forest travellers - Great gran (mums side) was from a well established family. or possibly (from what dad's mum said) my dad's dad.
After spending a childhood, and half my adult life wandering from place to place, wondering who I am, and where I 'belonged', it just felt good to realise that half of me had really strong roots, that I could prove! :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Sep 2019 01:31

Fred was from this village, in fact, I was born in the same room as my grandfather. There were at least six generations in the village before him. They came from Pompey before that but I have found a family of the same name around the area before that but can't say if they were family.

Of course, they married and some of those families probably are local for who knows how many generations.

My mother's family are certainly not local, they came all the way from Midhurst and Petworth. Truly foreign!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Sep 2019 08:26

So you have at least 6 generations in the actual village, and your mum's family are from down the road.
I think you can definitely say your family is from Sussex!