General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gone missing or just taking a break/article

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 7 Sep 2019 13:47

Quite an interesting and timely little piece re escaping the phone calls/internet/ people knowing where you are.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/sep/07/i-like-to-go-missing-do-not-call-search-party-grace-dent

Do you long to escape for a while? No emails, no calls, no post, no contact? Or do you do that from time to time and if so do you find it easy to do without upsetting anyone ?

:-)

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 7 Sep 2019 16:58

I don't have anything to escape from :-D

My sister is the only one with whom I have regular contact, and that is by old-fashioned landline, she has internet but refuses to use email.

Rambling

Rambling Report 7 Sep 2019 17:03

Sheila I thought I had escaped my 2 or 3 times weekly call from 'auntie', as I'm not here tomorrow, but she made it today instead so as to 'catch me', she'd phoned on Thursday so there was not much I could say , but then I rarely get a word in edgewise anyway lol . I've never known anyone talk so fast.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Sep 2019 17:57

We used to escape when we had the cabin ....... but we sold that in 2014.

Now we escape when we take the train to wherever on our twice yearly holidays .............. The Canadian from Vancouver to Toronto does not have WiFi on board, so there is internet contact only around big towns for those who are desperate.

No-one has our cell phone number apart from our daughter and the keyholder neighbour "just in case". OH sometimes takes the laptop when we go to daughter's, but only uses it for its word processing not for internet.

We're going away again in a few days for almost 2 weeks, and then the 3 weeks or so at Christmas ............ heaven!!!

Rambling

Rambling Report 7 Sep 2019 18:03

Have a good time Sylvia :-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 7 Sep 2019 18:41

I hope you enjoy yourselves, Sylvia. :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Sep 2019 19:07

Thank you, Rose & JoyL

We're going to visit a niece in northern BC ............ train to Jasper then another train to her town, and then doing the same in reverse.

It will be nice and relaxing.

One needs to get away from everything .................. there seems a view these days that everyone has to be in contact all the time. Daughter only managed to get a few days away from "work" when they took their camping days off this summer, because most of the camp sites now have WiFi.

How did people ever manage 10 or 15 years ago when WiFi was not so common? People took holidays, even those who were in essential jobs ........ some how all the others manage without him/her for 2, 3 or even 4 weeks.