General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Men wearing hats indoors.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 18 Sep 2019 20:40

I watch bits of The Repair Shop and enjoy it, but it really irks me to see one of the craftsmen wearing his hat indoors, is it just me that still think it impolite to do this?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Sep 2019 20:55

I suppose they're not really 'indoors', they're in a workshop, and Jay wouldn't look the same without his cap :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 18 Sep 2019 21:23

My Uncle is in his 90s and wouldn’t dream of keeping his hat on indoors, be it house shop or even in his garage.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 18 Sep 2019 21:55

Why do men remove their hats in church, but women have to keep their heads covered?

David

David Report 19 Sep 2019 07:31

The Repair Shop is a copy of Sarah Moore's programme Money for Nothing, where she obtained items of

interest for free at the tip. She took these to her friend who did them up. She advertised them, sold them, paid her friend who had charged her an extortionate price to do the item up, then she visited the former owner of the item and gave them the cash difference.
They all seem surprised, never invite her in and never give Sarah some of
what she's given them.
She can visit my home any day ;-)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 19 Sep 2019 08:11

I like that programme too.....and not too bothered about them wearing hats whilst they are working in the workshops but agree that men wearing hats indoors is impolite. It is something we have grown up with, part of our culture and a sign of respect.

I remember seeing men removing their hats when a funeral cortege went past and also 'tipping' their hat to ladies.

Now and again, we get men coming into church with hats on and one of the folk on duty will just have a quiet word with them - no offence caused.

Women rarely wear hats in church these days. :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Sep 2019 00:10

David, It's not really a copy of 'Money for Nothing'.
One programme is taking what people throw out, and re-working them.
The other is taking broken/damaged possessions, and repairing them!

I have an old silver thruppence holder, that could do with a bit of TLC - ie 'Repair Shop' care.
I also managed to knock a picture frame holding Menu's from SS Devonshire circa 1961 off the wall the other day.
The frame was plastic, with an acetate 'glass'.
I've thrown out the frame, but kept the acetate - useful for windows in dolls houses more akin to 'Money for Nothing'

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 20 Sep 2019 11:06

There is seriously long application list for "The Repair Shop"

among those weeded out are applications from dealers,and the like.... hoping to get stuff repaired/restored....for next to nothing...

there must be quite a lot of "being in the know" on Sarah's type programs, where to get stuff remodeled and when/where to sell it afterwards....

Dermot

Dermot Report 20 Sep 2019 12:10

Her Majesty is known for wearing gloves & carrying a handbag - indoors or outdoors.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 20 Sep 2019 12:46

But it isn’t impolite for women to wear gloves or carry a handbag indoors or outdoors.

Dermot

Dermot Report 20 Sep 2019 14:28

I've just been promised a no-nonsense guide to Etiquette.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 20 Sep 2019 15:52

are hats ok on stage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZG5_m86EeU

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Sep 2019 16:02

One thing that does irritate me is seeing men wearing hats, usually caps, in restaurants. I remember going out with daughter, her late husband and their three boys and them all being told by their Dad to remove their caps indoors in the restaurant.

I am sure it is a cultural thing and in some ways is linked to the cultural traditions of some ethnic groups which our young men have copied.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 20 Sep 2019 16:18

Ann, methinks its partly a military thing,

"Off caps"

on entering a building/premises....

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Sep 2019 16:34

Might be a bit but I think it goes way back to Victorian times when men would remove their hats when meeting a lady.

Lol a lot of times the statement 'Off cap" Would be the forerun to a not very happy experience in the military.

Sue

Sue Report 20 Sep 2019 23:04

In todays society anything goes, and i do not have a problem with this.

I cannot see the relevance of wearing/not wearing a hat indoors. How ever is it bad manners. Who said so.?

Sue :-S

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 22 Sep 2019 19:02

I visited Mary Arden's farm yesterday, and among other things we were told about manners. Apparently, only the head of the household should wear a hat indoors, unless someone of higher rank is there, when the visitor would keep his hat on and the head of household remove his. Women's heads were covered at all times.

Sue

Sue Report 23 Sep 2019 23:10

Lovely place Mary Ardens farm and cottage. Went a few years ago.

Its interesting how our ancestors lived in the 15th? century and to current times.
Thank goodness we have done away with the class system or social unequality generally that we can do whatever we please, as long as it doesnt offend anyone who is still living in the dark ages.!!!!! :-D :-D

Sue