General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I thought it was April the first!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 18 Oct 2019 18:18

Just now, on ITV news......

£20 fines for motorists sitting stationary, with their engines running, for longer than a Minute.

Actually it makes sense, particularly during the school run idling outside the schools pollutes the local air quality. Also in supermarket car parks

mind you not only that but "they" are calling on the public to film and Shop miscreants.....

who is going to do the timing? will we need carefully calibrated stopwatches?

Personally I always stop engines when I see I'm going to be a while stationary...at level crossings, roadworks,and the like.....

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Oct 2019 21:40

Hmmm..
Buses could be in a lot of trouble!

Von

Von Report 19 Oct 2019 12:15

Maggie the engines of buses in our area automatically cut out at bus stops.
I think all new buses are designed to do that :-D

I do get fed up of parents sitting in cars with their engines running waiting for children outside school. This is so the little treasures can get into a warm/cool car depending on the time of year :-0

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 19 Oct 2019 17:32

I went into our Sains the other day and parked next to a range rover (engine running)
she was engrossed in a ipad or summat....

did my shpping and twenty minutes or so later she was still there, engine running still affixed to the i pad....

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Oct 2019 18:36

Von, the buses in my area are so decrepit, half the time, they daren't turn off their engines, in case they don't restart!
This means they sit at the bus 'terminal' - and quite a few are on the street, next to busy pavements - with their engines running for 10+ minutes.

Hilary

Hilary Report 20 Oct 2019 15:29

My brother lives near a school, a side road & they turn up 1/2 an hour before they come out, he has been out several times to tell them to switch their engines off. They even leave it running in the summer. Maybe councils should put up signs all over the place to tell them they will be fined but the police also need to be around & fine them, the word would soon get around. This is a senior school, poor mites may get cold.