General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Cert's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 19 Oct 2019 14:23

On birth certs. I have of my male ancestors their occupation is FLY DRIVERS. Can anybody tell what job is? My info that has come through the family is that they were Hanson Cab drivers as one owned a horse stable in Brighton. Many thanks

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Oct 2019 14:29

"Fly Coachman / Flyman
Fly Proprietor/Master 1) Drove a "fly" a one horse two wheeled light carriage 2) Flyman also a term for a theatre stage hand 3) A Fly Proprietor/Master employed fly drivers for hire and usually owned the flys."

from Old Occupations site

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 19 Oct 2019 14:29

It's a driver of a light carriage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_(carriage)

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 19 Oct 2019 14:39

Thank-you so they were Hanson-cabs drivers, My gr-grandmother Caroline Boxall b. 1839ish on my father side owned the stable in Brighton Now .. the odd thing is that on my mothers side, my gr-grand mother was also a Caroline Boxall b. 1842ish

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Oct 2019 14:51

Unusual to find the same name on different sides, but there are quite a few Caroline Boxall births ( looking at freebmd.org.uk) I wonder if your two were related further back ?

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 19 Oct 2019 15:16

Hi Rambling, I have researched back on my mothers side back 1650 & on fathers side back to 1770, no connection found. Mothers Caroline born in West dean Chichester, fathers Caroline born in Brighton, not that far away from each other.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Oct 2019 15:16

Are you sure that two cousins didn't marry and in that way the two Caroline Boxall records you have could be the same person?

Kath. x

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 19 Oct 2019 15:32

Hi Kathleen, with-out a shadow of doubt not connected. Other tree ownes have researchered, they have found no connection

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Oct 2019 15:40

Malcolm, never trust another's research lol ( I'm sure you know that) but in my case a number of people's research, though otherwise good, was wrong on one important detail . They had a death, right age,right year and seemingly right place too, but wrong person, meaning my father couldn't exist, and so I couldn't either :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Oct 2019 18:18

BTW ...........

it is Hansom Cab, not Hanson.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 20 Oct 2019 00:54

LOL, Sylvia......

likewise Nissan huts!!!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Oct 2019 01:21

Rose - better to find two people totally unrelated, with the same name on different sides of the family, than 3 generations on the same side, with the same names marrying :-S :-S
I have 3 William Jory's marrying a Jane, Catherine and Jane Polkinghorne in succession - and they all came from St Allen in Cornwall.
St Allen isn't the 'biggest' of parishes - in 2001 it had a total of 435 inhabitants (495 in 2011)
Imagine how 'huge' the population was between 1700 to 1760! :-S

Thankfully, they dispersed after 1760 :-D
But only to slightly different areas of Cornwall. :-\

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Oct 2019 04:58

maggie .............

I have very similar in my ancestry in 3 small villages very close to one another in Buckinghamshire!

Trace 'em far enough back 2 generations at most!!) and they're related :-(