General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

One good reason why I appreciate iplayer.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 19 Oct 2019 14:39

A week or so back while looking for something interesting to watch, I found
something very interesting.

Spotlight on the troubles : A secret history. In over three decades in Northern
Ireland over 3700 people were murdered, civilians, Police and military. Many properties were destroyed and deep intimidation instilled in the population. At one stage The Troubles were known as the terrorist capital of the world !!
Alarmingly many of the known murderers were double agents informing the Police
the military, and through both MI5 knew.
The documentary screened in 8 episodes shows some of the prominent people
in the troubles in a different light :-0

David

David Report 19 Oct 2019 16:42

Much of the content of Spotlight on the troubles is "disturbing" In addition to

the scale of the killings and retaliations plus double dealings from the trigger

to the top, most of it was "secret" 20 years ago. still a tinder box.

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Oct 2019 17:11

I think a lot of people were aware of some of the double dealings, and what was not reported at the time David. A good and balanced look at history is important so that the same mistakes are not repeated.

I hope there will be no return to the level of violence seen.

Iplayer and similar are certainly very useful, especially when you can't stay awake and miss the ending of programmes lol.

David

David Report 19 Oct 2019 21:59

Thank you for your post. My late Father was born in North Belfast and spent
the first 22 years of his life there, until his parents died 1940.
The violence then was WWII That which became known as "the troubles" was / is
a mixture of intolerance bordering on hatred between Catholics and Protestants.
The Catholics being passed over for many employments and housing.
The Unionists increasingly intolerant of the Catholics. Some streets are divided by
walls exasperating these two denominations. The last half century showing the depth of their hatred.A whole generation of young, on both sides have grown up knowing nothing else, and so it persists.

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Oct 2019 22:50

I have Irish ancestors David, the problems, resentments, injustices, intolerances, call it what you will, go a lot further back unfortunately.

And there, 'gentle readers', I had better draw a line, lest I shock you with a controversial opinion or an unfortunate turn of phrase.

:-D