General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The value of Communication.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 20 Oct 2019 19:42

In just over a week I shall be 74 years of age. Due to a serious injury over six

and a half years ago I am immobilised. I use my PC more than ever due

my isolation. I post on forums other than Genes Reunited, but I'd just

like to say how grateful I am for the communication. Some times I ask

daft questions or post what may be considered tripe replies, but it helps me

and hopefully helps the readers. Thank you for the Communication.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 20 Oct 2019 19:47

Glad you find the different forums help you. Just keep posting. Have a very happy birthday when it comes.

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Oct 2019 20:01

Happy Birthday when it comes David.

I have spoken to two people today on the phone, who are both housebound for various reasons, one probably couldn't manage a key board, but the other would benefit hugely by being online. It is a window on the world for many of us, a means of helping ( with genealogy research) when you can't do anything terribly practical for others, and a hobby when the ones you used to be able to do are no longer possible.

David

David Report 20 Oct 2019 20:34

Since my injury I've ceased driving, given my tools away because I wasn't

wearing them most of my clothes and foot wear. However I have a TV and

a Kindle for reading, Solitaire and Sudoku, plus my PC.

So, all things considered I am fortunate.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Oct 2019 21:22

A lot of us have become so used to having this wonderful communication that it is hard to remember that we have not always had it. I too value it but I can also get out and about and meet people. We didn’t know many people in this area until we joined U3A about two years ago. We would not have known about its existsnce here if it was not for the internet.. it is good to know how much benefit you get from being on line David. Happy birthday for when you get there.

David

David Report 20 Oct 2019 22:09

In addition to two major forums I also am on a couple of genealogical trees and Facebook, occasionally Twitter and online radio, That's a great deal more
communication than my Father had in his later years, and Mother.
Yes, I've come a long way from assembling a crystal set as a boy.
In addition I have You Tube, plays your favourite songs, your own juke box.
Thank you again for sharing, it is very much appreciated. <3

David

David Report 21 Oct 2019 19:59

In addition to all the above I also e-mail on GMX :-)

Annx

Annx Report 21 Oct 2019 21:16

Yes David we have to be thankful that even if disabled, we have more freedom to see and hear the outside world and make new friends via the internet than generations before us never could. My grandmother didn't even have electricity and would sit reading by gaslight at night. No reading in bed as she only used candles there.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY for your 74th and I hope you have some nice gifts and good wishes. :-)

David

David Report 22 Oct 2019 08:36

Thank you Annx and all the others :-D <3

I'm so grateful isn't worse. The HAI I picked up in Hospital has killed some.

My wife Ellen who recently had a suspected heart attack was at her Doctors yesterday.

She'd been experiencing pain down her right arm since. The GP assures her that

her heart and lungs are OK. She has arthritis from her collar bone down her arm.

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 22 Oct 2019 14:07

Happy birthday (when it arrives) David.
I hope that your wife is feeling better and not so worried.

Yes, we are so lucky that we can tour the world from our sitting rooms. Have enjoyed trying to use my brain to find all the ancestors that are trying to hide. Makes me more determined to track them down.

Looking at family history is a wonderful tool in learning more about social history. making it all a lot more real.

David

David Report 22 Oct 2019 14:56

Thank you Tess <3 With the aid of my PC I learned my paternal grand Father
died March 1940 in Purdysburn Hospital Belfast. My Father left Belfast shortly
after and my GM died the following year. She is in the same grave as GF.

These PC's are remarkable, the fast growing Encyclopaedia. You can go from the sea bed to the moon to the stars.

I appreciate the interaction with other forum users.

David

David Report 24 Oct 2019 10:31

Annx, in the house I was born and spent the first 12 years of my life we

had gas lighting on the ceilings of some rooms and electricity in others.

Seemed normal for a child. My maternal GF lived until 77 years