General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Aberfan

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 21 Oct 2019 11:56

Friday 21st October 1966

144 deaths

116 were children

RIP <3

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Oct 2019 12:17

Such a terrible day.

All those lives lost and so many more forever scarred by the memory.

R.I.P

Dermot

Dermot Report 21 Oct 2019 13:24

Just one tragedy in the long history of tragedies.

It is good that we remember with respect such awful occurrences.

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Oct 2019 13:45

I once went to Aberfan.

This will seem ridiculous but I needed to assure myself that there was colour there.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 21 Oct 2019 13:50

It still upsets me to this day.

Many documentaries with personal stories on YouTube.

Not one mention of it on the Wales News today (yes I have complained).

Most of the volunteers who shovelled to reach the victims on that day were left with terrible mental scars.

A dreadful day for so many familes <3

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 21 Oct 2019 13:54

RIP <3

Such a sad loss of lives.

So much heart ache for their families <3

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Oct 2019 14:36

Wales as left to pay for the removal of the slag heaps. Whatever else he may have done, Tony Blair finally wiped out that debt.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 21 Oct 2019 14:44

https://youtu.be/VqEJTwj-g-I

Continue to Rest in Peace, one of the worst days ever for Wales <3 <3 <3

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 Oct 2019 15:25

My ex-MIL was a teacher from Pontypridd. One of her siblings was a teacher at Aberfan that day. She never really got over it especially at this time of year and leading up to Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44hz1BkIzcI

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Oct 2019 19:05

One of the teachers lost that day had just left college that summer. I had met him, but didn't really know him.
The excitement of a new job cut short as he sheltered his young pupils and died with them.

I have never been to Aberfan, but will always remember that terrible day and watching the TV news unfold, at home in Hampshire on a half term break.

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Oct 2019 19:48

The wife of the headmaster of our local primary school came from Aberfan.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 21 Oct 2019 20:21

The scale of loss never really hits you till you see the memorials for real,,,,,,,,,,the arches are really beautiful in contrast to what they represent and to walk amongst them is so overwhelming, that it is painful& heartwrenching and thoughts do go to that little girl or boy and thinking,,,,,,,your life today,maybe a parent,grandparent,a high profile person of something or other.or just a nice person that touched the heart of people,,,,,.so to visit is not without many tears.

.Yet there is peace because in knowing the rememberence will go on past our life times.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 21 Oct 2019 20:33

Such a heartbreaking tragedy. After all these years it still makes me cry.

Never forgotten <3 <3 <3

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 21 Oct 2019 21:37

I remember watching it on tv and couldn’t get it in my head that it was real, made me cry then and still does now. May they all rest in peace.

Linda

Linda Report 21 Oct 2019 23:45

I remember watching it on TV I had just left school and it made me cry and those brave men having to dig them out the dust have had nightmares for years after