General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fall of the Berlin Wall, 09 Nov 1989

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 8 Nov 2019 20:22

Dear All

Hello

On 09 November 1989, the Berlin Wall finally fell.
There was no blood-shed, just quiet and peaceful determination that there would no longer be division.

At last, families in West and East Germany were reunited.

Rest in peace all those killed trying to get to freedom in the years the wall stood.

Sincere wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Nov 2019 00:01

<3 <3 <3 <3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Nov 2019 00:54

We were in Berlin in July 1987, for a big International Conference. Daughter and I did a lot of sightseeing, including a bus tour that took us past the Berlin Wall and Checkpoint Charlie

I shall always remember the white crosses on the Wall that marked where someone had been killed trying to leave East Berlin.

It was also amazing to see how close buildings were to the Wall ............ in some places you could have touched the Wall from upstairs windows. I assume those buildings were either occupied by "trusted" people or empty and sealed up

After the conference was over, we took the train from West Berlin to Leipzig to visit a scientist that OH knew. Again, daughter and I went sightseeing.

Quite the eyeopener again on the train as there were high fences topped with barbed wire on each side of the tracks so no-one could escape that way.

About 20 or so years later, I went with OH to a conference in San Diego, California, and I took a "spouses" tour to Tijuana, Mexico.

Coming back into the US, we had to go to the check point for commercial vehicles. We drove along an access road with high fences topped with barbed wire on each side ................ and white crosses to mark where people had been killed.

Deja vu